RsLinks ethernet driver problem - Micrologix 1100

mellow81

Hi all,
I am new to Ethernet comms (and probably missing something simple) and am experiencing a problem with the Ethernet ip driver in Rslinks in that it will pick up a panelview but not a micrologix 1100 PLC that I have connected through a rail switch. I have setup the ML1100 via channel 0 turning off bootp and dhcp and manually gave it an ip address but rslinks can’t see it for some reason. I have tried this on a different PC running same version and OP system (2000 and Rslink ver 2.5.020) but get the same result. I tried pinging the plc and recieved a timeout but was able to get the panelview to reply. The network indicator lights are both on and I have replaced cabling etc to no avail. I have also changed the cip settings in RSlinks as recommened on the AB knowledge base. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

When you go to set Channel Configuration do not check BOOTP Enable

and DHCP Enale.

Then write the IP manually.

It's work

Last edited:
How are you connecting to the ML1100? Are you using an ethernet cable directly from your computer to the ML1100 or are you connecting to a hub or switch first.

If you are connecting directly, a standard ethernet cable (generally referred to as a patch cable) will not work. You must use a crossover style ethernet cable. Or preferreably connect your computer to a switch via a patch cable and then connect the ML1100 to a different port on the same switch again via a patch cable.

If you can't ping it then RSLinx won't work either. Forget about RSLinx until you get ping to work.

OG

Just to be sure how about the basics.
Is the IP address alone, not used by anything else?
Is the subnet mask correct? This is the 255.255.0.0 looking number. This splits up the network and any part of the IP address that lines up with the 255 parts must be the same.
Is your machine and the PLC on the same subnet, do they have the same left part of the IP address.

I'm not at work right now and won't get back for another 48 hours but this what I had setup. I can't remember the exact IP address for the first three parts of the IP address but was the same for the panelview and plc(ie xxx.xxx.xxx.100). I tried changing the PLC to another IP address with only the first two parts the same but didn't help. Both PLC and panelview were going through a unmanaged rail switch (Hirschmann Unmanaged SPIDER 5 Port 10/100 Ethernet Rail Switch) using only straight cables. No firewalls on the PC and don't know what the address of it was but Rs links was able to recongise the panelview. If this dosn't provide any clues I'll post the exact addresses and any other info when I get back to work. I appreciate the help!

PLC ML1100
Channel 1
IP address: xxx.xxx.xxx.100 (wasn't able to ping)
Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
Gateway:0.0.0.0
Bootp and dhcp off
HTTP sever and auto negotiate on

Panelview PLus 600
IP address: xxx.xxx.xxx.108 (was able to ping)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

Another dumb question but are you downloading to the PLC serially first to set it's IP address? You have to set it's IP internally first or talk to it using it's default IP first. Using the default means changing your IP to match it's subnet first, downloading the configuration containing the desired IP (You then loose comm) and then changing your IP back to the normal subnet. The serial download is usually easier.

I downloaded the channel setup by serial first and using the inbuilt plc screen I can see the ip address. I will try it all again tommorrow when I get to work and post what IP's are set etc.

Thanks to all who helped,
I managed to get my hands on a spare ML1100 and plugged that in and setup it up as I had done before and it worked! Replugged my old one in and set it up again and no response. Can only put it down to a problem internally with the PLC?? I have found AB equipment normally to be pretty reliable in the past so is a bit of a surprise.

The one I was having trouble with was used as a tempory unit for a couple of weeks( ethernet port wasn't used and came straight out of the box) before I got hold of it but the one that works was straight out of the box. Both were firmware 3.