Alternatives to Simatic NET software

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi there,

I have just finished setting up an OPC connection via Simatic NET software. I must say that this software is the most confusing set of various programs and setup utilities that I have ever seen.
I have made the thing work, but I am not sure how it works and why there are so many different places for settings to be set.

There is a so-called "wizard" that should help, but have found that it only adds to the confusion.
For example, how about choosing between two options:
Do you want to use the communication card to "communicate" or for "PG/PC functions"? What a choice ! And most of the other helpful queries in this wizard are equally clear and meaningful.

One good utility though is the ability to archive and restore the entire setup in one go. In that way you don't have to navigate this maze again when only you have found the way once.

So, I ask if there are others out there that have experience in alternative OPC servers for Siemens network types (MPI, Profibus, Ethernet). And in particular if there is something that is EASIER to use than this *&%$#+*^$ mess.

Thanks for your help (if any),

Jesper M. Pedersen

I would think that any OPC server that had drivers for the controller you are using should suffice.

I have personally used Kepware which I didn't find too difficult to set up. Definately not as hard as what your describing.

You can check them out here: www.kepware.com

Jesper, I did it, it was exiting adventure read 3 DINT from and write 2 DINT to CP-341 from VB-application with Simatic-Net V3.3 OPC-Server.
I know the next version is quite diffrend so I have to forget V3.3 if I like use next one. One of program, 'Tag File Configurator' don't like work at all in Win2k, it tells me: You need Administrator Rights etc... and Siemens people in tech support don't know why...