Serial to Ethernet with Control Logix

bmfuller03

I have several barcode scanners and printers. I want to send the serial data over my ethernet. There is a company that make such a device but I am looking for an alternative. The company is RTA (Real Time Automation). Has anybody used other brands of Serial to Ethernet converters?

bfuller

The RTA device is hands-down the easiest way to get ASCII data into a ControlLogix over an Ethernet network.

I have a customer at a big paper mill who tried them after several difficult attempts at using other devices, and now he won't shut up about how great they work.

I’ve started using the Comtr0l DeviceMaster UP and it is really sweet.

Serial to Ethernet

We make a product called DeviceMaster UP, which is available with 1 or 4 serial ports. Easy to configure, cost effective, and saves a lot of headaches relative to programing logic. Feel free to contact me directly, and I would be happy to coordinate an evaluation unit for you free of charge for 60 days if you are interested.

This is wrong.

R_C said:
I’ve started using the Comtr0l DeviceMaster UP and it is really sweet.

In case noone noticed, RC is also DeviceMaster-UP, a representative for that product.

This was a straightforward question about a specific product, anyone that sells that type product is free to offer information concerning it.

My personal opinion is that I would not use the DeviceMaster product regardless of how good it may be. If a person will not represent theirself honestly how can you feel comfortable doing business with them?

rsdoran said:
In case noone noticed, RC is also DeviceMaster-UP, a representative for that product.

This was a straightforward question about a specific product, anyone that sells that type product is free to offer information concerning it.

My personal opinion is that I would not use the DeviceMaster product regardless of how good it may be. If a person will not represent theirself honestly how can you feel comfortable doing business with them?
I have no idea what you are talking about. I work for a systems integrator and I have used this product. The guy asked a question about a company that provides serial to Ethernet, so I was trying to help out. R_C is the letters in my name but if you want to call me DeviceMaster thats cool too.

Last edited:
!734 Point IO

Use 1734 point IO. Aent adapter with RS232 serial module. Most cost effective and easiest solution. I just finished a project using 50 of these.

I believe I have unjustly accused R_C, my apologies.

Circumstances made it appear so and not being familiar with that name I jumped to conclusions.

jasdhillon said:
Use 1734 point IO. Aent adapter with RS232 serial module. Most cost effective and easiest solution. I just finished a project using 50 of these.

I have also used 1734-232ASC(30 nos) module with 1734-AENT very easy to handle & configure for RFIDs & Weighscales

If you've got the EWEB ethernet module then you can use a regular old serial device server to accomplish this. If you have the ENET module then you're going to need something that is compatible with Allen Bradley's Ethernet/IP protocol.

I deal witht these 'serial - ethernet' converters a lot. Here's a couple brands I've used:

Moxa Serial Device Servers:
http://www.moxa.com/

B&B Electronics Serial Device Servers:
http://www.bb-elec.com/

Lantronix Serial Device Servers:
http://www.lantronix.com/

RSdoran - Thank you for correcting your initial mistake accusing someone else of being myself. I only have one identity that I actively use here, and make no attempt to hide who I am.

If simple serial to ethernet is desired, we also offer a low cost DeviceMaster RTS product line. If Serial to Ethernet/IP is required, it would be more appropriate to consider the DeviceMaster UP product instead.