FireWorks Display

Danocane

An example of some fun stuff using PLC. Programmed a PLC to ignite the Family 4th of July fireworks Display. 2002 was the first year to implement this project. Prior to this all the fireworks were hand ignited using 4 to 12 men, women and/or children brave enough to cluster around three stages and maintain the rule of no dead sky.

This is an Allen Bradley PLC5/15 CPU, Chassis, 24 VDC power supply and terminal connections:

[attachment]

This system is mounted on a two wheel dolly so we can run it out to the edge of the pond where we run the fireworks display.

FireWorks Display Part-2

I didn't get the image to attach correctly in the first post. I did get it to work in the second one. I believe I can do it now though.

This image was taken while building the firing stages at the edge of the pond:

[attachment]

All the fireworks are designed to explode out over the water. This makes a very attractive display in the sky and is reflected in the water.

stage04.jpg

FireWorks Display Part-3

This image is of the control comsole:

[attachment]

The control console consisted of 16 toggle switches. Two sets of 4 switches are used as two hexadecimal input banks to allow addressing one of 16 outputs. The other eight of these are momentary switch inputs that is used to enable an output module. Each output module is 16 bit 24 VDC. By setting the selected out using the hexadecimal switches then holding the momentary switch programmed for a specific module the desired firework or group of firewoks word be ignited. there was also a remote I/O block attached to a stage built onto a Jon boat which was floated and anchored in the pond. The first year I set it up to this control fashion. For 2003 4th of July I am recruiting the PLC Techs I am training to assist in this project as a traing exercise. I have gotten the timing down for the igniters and the fuses so we can program the entire display to operate from one Start/Stop station and allow the PLC program to ignite the entire sequence automatically. Well anyway that sounds like fun to me.

Thanx Dan

I pray I will never be to smart to learn something new today.

contl04.jpg

RE: Fireworks Display And Igniters

I have used the model rocket igniters before but I prefer the E-Match igniters. For the most dependable ignition the E-Match can be placed end to end with the fuse using approximately one inch of heat shrink tubing. Use a heat gun with a temp control NOT a lighter to shrink the tubing around the fuse and igniter, this will keep the positioning correct.

Here is a link where I order the E-Matches from:

http://www.z11pyro.com/ Z11 PYRO SUPPLY Theatrical Pyrotechnics

I also mix my own powders (flash powders, propellant powders, color additives etc...), sticky fuse and pyro-paste, but many of these can be ordered also. Not depicted in the images are the 4 inch diameter tubes used for the home made balls. These balls have been created with all sorts of color additives with many types of smaller color ball combinations embedded within.

Building model rockets can also result in interesting payloads. One of the favorites we make contains a dozen bottle rocket heads (stick removed) packed just under the nose cone with the fuses inserted into a powder charge. The nose cone is formed from a pyro-paste containing various types of color additives, flash powder and propellant powder and allowed to dry and harden. This is also fussed in the same fashion as the bottle rocket head fuses. The inside end of the rocket engine is scraped so when the engine burn reaches peak level the powder charge is ignited and the bottle rocket heads are ignited and blasted out all over the sky. The nose cone fuse is also ignited at the same time and generally fires above the bottle rocket heads.

These are just a few of the little extras we have added over the years. And we do use very stringent safety precautions when mixing the various poeders and chemicals.

There is quite a number of friends and family that get together starting about this time every year to start the planning and design of the displays. The main idea or plan is using the C-class fireworks that can be purchased at any fireworks stand (Class-B fireworks requires a licence) to develop an interesting display that lasts approximately one to two hours with no dead sky (dead sky - no color no sparks for more than 2 seconds). Hand ignition has to be very organized to maintain our no dead sky rule.

Hence the implementaion of the PLC. The 2002 show went very well and everyone is really looking forward to 2003. Especially the PLC Techs I am training. I have gotten my work place on board with this and they agree that this is a very good training exercise for the maintenance personel. Safety of course will be strictly enforced and hopfully work will help foot some of the bill for the cabling and connector systems I am wanting to setup. I personally spend about a Grand for the fireworks and there are other members that bring in stuff also. Of course that doesn't include the PLC equipment I purchased on Ebay last year. I do some contracting work on the side so I already owned the RSLogix Software to do the PLC programming.

I really enjoy this type of work and it is great to have a hobby and training that come together so well.

Thanx Dan

Excellent example of a non-industrial use of a PLC. Kudos to you Dan for your effort!... :cool:

You and Caveman should get together... :p (See THIS THREAD)

One question though...

Where's the giant mushroom-headed button labeled "Something Has Gone Terribly Wrong" that will diable the system when something inevitably DOES goes terribly wrong?... utoh

I don't feel that the household wall switch is up to that task.

beerchug

-Eric

Thanx For the Input Eric

I had followed the Caveman Thread when it was first started. It was great to follow all the links generated by that thread. I have always taken my PLC work and all installation projects very seriously, and it's good to see that the members of this site can also have a good time and enjoy their work.

The 10 amp switch on the PLC rack assembly was just to turn the AC power on and off. This has been replaced with a 20 amp breaker.

The original console was designed to set an output address using the hexadecimal toggle switches (4 toggle switches for each hexadecimal switch bank) and loaded into an integer file. Then a momentary group toggle switch would be set to select which of the output modules would use the hexadecimal address. The selected output was only enabled while the momentary switch is in the on position.

This image is of the original control console:

[attachment]

As I ststed in a previous post for the 2003 show, the PLC program will operate the the firing sequence automatically. This sequence will be started using a Start/Stop station. At any point if the Stop button is pressed the PLC program will halt the sequence right where it is at. There is also a Kill Switch that will remove the AC power from the PLC at the operator station. All the spectators and the operator sit on a point where the two creeks that feed the pond come together (this is a 9 1/2 acre pond, great bass fishing). This is approximately 200 feet away from the firing stages and parallel to, but not in direct line to the firing stages. All stages are firmly anchored to the ground and the fireworks have their bases glued to the stages or are wedged into stage pockets so they do not rock or change position. There are also three water hoses one from the house well pump and two from a six horse power pump that pulls water from the pond. Of course there could be an unexpected occurance MURPHY's LAW and I hope and pray we will be able to respond correctly to the situation.

Thanx Dan

switch05.jpg

Nice Application

Danocane,

That is a very cool(and expensive) use of a plc. Well done.

Are we all invited to Topeka this year for the 4th??

Some example..great for ceremony display

Thanks for give us an example for this thread.
For me I am afraid about something that explode..bummmm
But nice to see these pictures.

Thanks to Danocane..

A.char

If only

That was really smart what you did Dan, I wish I had the brain power to work out something like that myself.

you should put your Ideas to Parks like Disney etc. They could do with your brains and ideas too.

Cindy

Thanx For All the replys

Initially I had placed this in the practice posting section. I had not inserted an image on this site before and just wamted the practice. I fiqured as long as I was practicing I might as well make something of it. When I checked my E-Mail today I saw that Phil had posted and wanted to see what he said. I logged onto the PLCS.Net site (not through the E-Mail link) and straight to the practice posting forum. I didn't see the thread there and at first thought I might be in trouble for inserting so many images so the link was removed. Then I found Phil had moved it.

Our small family fireworks display has grown extensively over the years to be a Friends and Family Event. Now around 150 to 200 hundred people attend. This year since my work place has gotten on board it will be open to the entire distribution center (approx. 1000 employees), but I'm sure not everyone will attend. So if any of you want to visit Topeka for just a small fireworks display (compared to all the major shows around the nation with really big fireworks) you are certainly welcome.

I used to design and build light display systems for small stage bands. This included spots, strobes, color slides, and sequencers and were all solid state (not PLC). The console used a heavy aluminum console with heavy switches that set on the stage floor to allow one of the band members to use their foot to manually change lights, and speeds of sequencers and strobes. Small bands back then could not always afford to pay someone to run the lights and sound. I have never included any PyroTechnics for indoor usage. After seeing what happened to the band Great White last week I don't believe I ever want to.

As I have seen other members of this site post: the equipment installation projects and our controls programming is a very serious business. If mistakes are made at this level someone can be hurt or killed. Which makes it very important to repeatedly go through that theory of logic and TEST, TEST, TEST.

Thanx Dan

About 500 miles I will drive to celebrate and see what you have done.
I have visited USA. in 1993 ...but now no Wing(chance) to fly there..
Hope you will post something new about your's experience again.

Thanks a lot to you and Prof.Phil that give my chance to learn
A.Char

Goodluck to your project bro! I know its gonna work out, because having a brainlike yours is absolutely effective!!!

Keep up the good work!! I will try my best to follow all your forums as well as the others...

Thanks for the brilliant ideas....