PLC5/40 DH+ Communication Issues

cntrlfrk

I have an odd problem with a PLC5. This is a long-time existing unit, not a new installation.

It is on a network of 7 DH+ Devices, 2nd from the end of the line. A panelview is at the end of the line.

The problem is, I can't see the PLC5 in RSLinx, but I can see the Panelview and all other devices. The comm status light on the processor is a steady green. If I unplug the DH+ cable from the front of the PLC, I get a communications error on the corresponding panelview, and the status light will blink. All data on the corresponding panelview seems accurate and is changing.

ideas?

I have not used a Gateway so I am just thinking out loud.

I assume the gateway has an IP address for the ENET connection AND a node address for DH+. It may be possible it is using the same address as that PLC5 but since it does not actually provide traffic there may not be a conflict until you attempt to access that PLC5.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the responses.

One of my most feared problems are the ones that fix themselves.

I've been fighting this all morning, I went to lunch and when I returned everything was fine.

As with Murphy's Law, this thing won't rear it's ugly head until Saturday afternoon after I've had a few cold ones during the 4th quarter of a tie football game.

Have a good weekend!

If this is an intermittent problem, check that the termination resistors are properly installed on the DH+ cables (one at each end). I have seen this problem on DH+ and RIO caused by missing or improperly installed resistors.

Well, I couldn't have called that one better. The call came at 7:00pm Saturday night, just as I was getting comfy with my bride.

The problem is, it was on a different network. Actually, three other networks. The only thing common with these was the ethernet.

I don't know if we are having some type of electrical issue or what. We ended up needing to replace one processor, the others came back up after a re-boot. All was good after a few hours.

Now, Monday, back at work and as soon as I walk in, I hear the problem is back (my original post)

Starting to dig in again. Atleast it isn't Friday afternoon.