OT-Back to school (again)

testsubject

Well folks, (to anyone that has been following along) a new semester started a couple of weeks ago and I am hot and heavy, back in the thick of things. The course load is not too bad except for one course (ECE 350 Control Systems). Now everyone here may think, oh that one will be easy. Au Contraire! This class relies heavily on have a working knowledge of Fourier and Laplace transforms. I took Calculus and Diff Eq over ten years ago. This one may be the class that breaks me... :)

On a lighter note, the Discrete Math (Boolean Logic) and Linear Algebra so far are a breeze. The Digital Image Processing class is also pretty cool.

Ron, how is this semester for you? Getting close to graduating yet? I will not be done until 12-07. After that I need to decide if I want to go after the Master's or not...

Well, just thought I would send off a little note to let everyone know I was still here. I have been a lurker more than a poster these days because I have been busy with work over the summer (learning the new Horner controller, XLE-100 series) and school this fall.

Take care all,

Bob

Good to hear from you Bob... I'm still on an extended break from my schooling...

Good luck with that controls class! I took a similar class, and although I passed.... I'm not sure how much useful information I retained out of it. I did most of the math on my trusty TI-89, which did most of the harder stuff for me(probably the reason I didn't retain much, actually....)

Although after that class I actually recognized some of the terms that Peter N. and Co. toss around in their discussions, so it wasn't a total waste.

Year 3 for me

My fall semester consists of Calc 3 and Physics 1. I'm confused, because both classes are talking about vectors, which makes Calc 3 seem incredibly easy after all the integration and series problems in Calc 2.

I'm hearing a lot of negative feedback about a class I should have next semester called Signals and Systems. 12 people managed a zero on the first quiz. Ouch.

Heh... The signals and systems class should be fairly useful for you... (depending on the professor)

Control loops, feedback circuits, feed forwarding, frequency response, aliasing, system analysis... That sort of thing. You're probably going to be at least familiar with some of the basic terminology, which will put you ahead of the rest of the class right off the bat. Although the actual details of the math involved can be pretty... Ummm.. Fun? Interesting? Tedious?

Sounds like fun!!!!

tom_stalcup said:
Control loops, feedback circuits, feed forwarding, frequency response, aliasing, system analysis... That sort of thing. You're probably going to be at least familiar with some of the basic terminology, which will put you ahead of the rest of the class right off the bat. Although the actual details of the math involved can be pretty... Ummm.. Fun? Interesting? Tedious?
The math doesn't need to be tedious. Get a math package like Mathcad. The ROI is very high if you plan to do any math in the future. One can do home work on Mathcad. The problem is that it costs money. I would be lost without Mathcad. Scilab is free. It isn't as polished nor does it have symbollic processing which I think is very important. Scilab does have a lot of built in functions though that mathcad doesn't have.

UIC uses MatLab. It is pretty robust.

The calculus and Diff Eq are my problem areas. I did well when I took them but that was 10 years ago. I do not remember much and all the systems require setting them up by modeling the system using differential Equations. I am now relearning it all as I go. I am starting to get a handle on derivatives and integrals but La Place and Fourier transforms are still going are my head. I will get this if I have to burn up every grey cell I have left. :)

To help relearn Laplace & Fourier you may want to try a Schaum's outline book. They have a quick overview with lots of sample problems with answers for you to practice up on. Plus they cost less than $15, just right for the student budget. I am using one myself right now.

Last edited:
Gerry,

That is right about the Schaum books. I have a couple already for Elctrical Circuit analysis. I will have to get one for calculus. I had forgotten about them. I did get the "Idiot's Guide to Calculus" which is pretty good so far. I think I will have to make a trip to the book store tonight...

Bob

russrmartin said:
My fall semester consists of Calc 3 and Physics 1. I'm confused, because both classes are talking about vectors, which makes Calc 3 seem incredibly easy after all the integration and series problems in Calc 2.

I'm hearing a lot of negative feedback about a class I should have next semester called Signals and Systems. 12 people managed a zero on the first quiz. Ouch.

Where are you going to school? UW-Platteville? If so, I can tell you get Dif. Eq. under your belt before you jump into signals and systems!

Thanks for the info

Yup, U.W. P. it is. Thanks for the input. I was a little worried after hearing some of what I heard. I had circuits 2 last semester, and if I don't have signals till fall next year, that's plenty of time to forget. I will probably heed your advice though, as my spring semester is basically already planned, and DiffEQ is part of it.

On a sidebar, I'm assuming you are an alum. of UWP. Where are you located now?

I'm up in Eau Claire now, I graduated in may.

Anyway, don't worry too much about what you hear, although most of it IS true to some extent, by the end of the semester the curve will pass you even if you think your failing. But you'll still have to bust your chops.

Still curious

Well, now you've got me even more curious. I'm a little familiar with the Eau Claire area. What I really meant was where are you working. I know there are a couple of 3M plants up there, and just thought there might be a chance that's where you were at. At any rate, it's always cool to meet another alum. I wished I had read some of your posts about the new equipment at UWP. Had I known I would have dropped by and lended any help I could have getting everything setup. Where ever you are working, I hope you like it and it turns out great.

Russ

CaseyK said:
Hi Bob!

I think you should consider the masters, and then a few more years. Then we can call you "Dr. Bob". Looks like you'll have your hands full for a while, so I'll leave your beer fridge alone.

Hey Casey!

Funny that you should mention the "masters, and then a few more years." I am thinking about going for it. I figure, why not? Both of my girls will be grown by then and it will just be me and the missus. It will be something to keep my mind sharp. Then maybe I will take up teaching. Who knows what the future will bring?

I am glad to see that the surplus is not going down as fast as it used to... lol

I had a couple leads on work in the Palos and Orland areas, but they are still "in the works".

I was offered a position in "the Stock Yards" but got hit with a hiring freeze the day after I interviewed.

Several local places have advertised three or more times, complaining that they are not getting enough resumes. You would think 45 would be sufficient. I remember when 3 was considered good out here in the cornfields. In the 70's, I often applied and walked out with the job on the same visit or got "the call" the next morning.

Well, I start in West Chicago Monday on contract for a major manufacturer. I don't think it will work. Below scale wages and not very friendly environment. And 90 miles one way. At least gas is down!!! Not much to do with plc's. But if it lasts, I may learn S6 progamming yet!

Teaching would be good. Okay class, what are the types of plc's, program me a stoplight and a washing machine, I want these tommorow. NO, you don't need any books or lectures. And someone wash my car, my grass needs cutting, and someone needs to go feed my dog and stock up the beer fridge.

Teaching would be great!

But then, I think that you might take the approach to actually teach them something, so that they would actually be somewhat usefull when they graduate. Gee Bob, that takes the fun out of it!

Take care buddy.....kc