Comms issue with SLC5/05

pablo2000

Hi,

I know this issue has been raised before, but it wasn't really answered in the last thread http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=8940
I'm trying to get an upload from a SLC 5/05 connected to a GE Fanuc Quickpanel HMI. I've had to remove the RS232 connection to the HMI to get the upload. I connected to the PLC and tried to Auto-Configure the driver (serial driver) and am getting the message:

"unable to verify settings due to packet timeout! Check all cables and configuration and try again"

The auto-configure is getting as far as the parity check and then I get the message. The RS232 light on the controller is flashing when the PC is connected, but steady green when the HMI is connected.

I've tried using two different laptops and two comms cables. There is an ethernet port but I can't modify the IP address settings on the laptops to communicate this way.

Anybody recognise this message? What should I do?

Pablo2000

Your Quickpanel could be using DH485 protocol on the SLC-5/05 serial port, in which case you'd have to configure the "1747-PIC/AIC+" driver in RSLinx instead of the "RS232 DF1 Devices" driver.

Unfortunately, that "1747-PIC/AIC+" driver can be tricky (there are dozens of threads explaining it, mostly to people who can't spell COM1.) If you know how to do this, and you have a built-in RS232 port, you might spend a little time trying.

I'd recommend pursuing an Ethernet connection, even if it means getting your boss to let you use your tools.