DIN Rail mountable RS232C/RS422 converter.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi.

I am on the lookout for an affordable RS232/RS422 converter.
Good if it fits on a DIN rail, and better if it is affordable too.
Galvanic isolation will be nice, but is not an absolute requirement.

Just for info: The background is that I have many old projects where Siemens OP25, OP27, OP170B and OP270 that connects to AB SLC500s via RS232C.
The next generation panels from Siemens dont have an RS232C capable port any more. Only RS422 is available for connecting via DF1 protocol.
And at the same time, I am getting requests from old customers for replacements for the old panels because they are giving in after 5-10 years of service in hostile environments.

Hi Jesper,

You could also try Phoenix contact, they have a RS232/RS422 converter that also is galvanic isolatet and for DIN-rail
The converter is called PSM-EG-RS232/RS422-P/4K ordernr. 2761266
But it cost about 3000,- dkr.!!
Check it out on the online catalog at www.phoenixcontact.dk Or call them 36774411

Best regards

Dariusch

Thanks again.

I like the MOXA TCC-80 (*) and Red Lion ICM5 devices.
There are local distributors for both, but I have to go through too many steps just to get a price.
Do you have just a rough price estimate for any of the two ?

*: OK, it is not DIN-rail mountable, but it seems elegant enough to just dangle off the panel.

Thankyou both of you.(y)

The Redlion looks the better, so I think I will go for that one.
(Looks better must mean that it is better - right ?).

Both are much more reasonable than the Phoenix device.

Jesper, the best one I have found so far is the Adam 4520 from Advantech (Taiwan). Isolated and requires a 24VDC power supply to power it up. Good for 422/485, DIN rail mounted and can be stacked on top of each other to save space. Have never had a failure. Highly recommended.

Thanks Bob.

I did look at the ADAM models. But as far as I understand (I may be wrong) it mounts on the DIN rail in such a way that it takes up too much space vertically.

The thing is that I have to assemble a kit with the panel + the converter and necessary cables, and then be damned sure that the customer can fit it in an existing panel himself.

They are quite large Jesper. 118mm high x 70mm wide. There is a 9 pin RS232 serial plug on the top and a 10 way screw connector on the bottom. Increases the height considerably. However I find the capability to stack the devices quite usefull and space saving. I quite often require 4 or 5 on a job and just stack them out from the panel.

I work for myself and actually carry 4 or 5 of them in stock they are so usefull.

Sounds like you have a space problem unfortunately.