New to this forum - need Contrologix info

FTS

Hello,

I have just joined this forum and this is my first post. Hopefully, someone can point me in the right direction.

I am a very experienced PLC-3, PLC-5, and SLC programmer, but I am just beginning to learn the Contrologix 5000's. I am trying to learn on a working Contrologix 5000 and have to be extremely careful.

Will someone direct me to info that will bring me up-to-speed on the data structure of Contrologix? I would like to read about tag alias, user defined structures, styles, etc. I have looked at the Allen-Bradley quick start publication, but it does not have a detailed secion about the data types.

Thanks for your consideration.

Welcome to the Forum !

Invest in a big pile of paper manuals. I was amazed by how much stuff was clearly explained in the Instruction Set References after I'd banged my head against the wall trying to figure it out.

Rockwell offers a set of manuals covering most of the ControlLogix spectrum as part number 1756-DPALEN. It's about a foot-high stack of manuals for a hundred bucks.

You can read the contents of the bundle in the packing list:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/cl/1756-cl001_-en-p.pdf

I think the ControlLogix Design Considerations and System Reference manuals are probably the ones that an experienced PLC/SLC user would want to pay the most attention to.

if the person installing your RSLogix5000 software used the "standard" procedures, then a LOT (thousands of pages) of the material you need is already on your hard disk ... try "Help/Online Books" ... also explore the "Samples" directory which should have been installed near your own "Projects" directory ... some of the examples in there are meant to show the "bells and whistles" of ControlLogix - but the main ideas are WELL WORTH working through ...

good luck ... and welcome to the forum ...