Connect PLC using Radio Modem

Intelyseeker

Hello everyone,
Could someone please guide me in the right direction? I am trying to connect a PC and PLC (OMRON CJ1M) using two radio modems. What is the best way to do this? Am I suppose to select (toolbus) or (SYSMAC-LINK) on the CX-Programmer. The radio modems connect to the RS232 ports of PC and PLC.

Thanks, much appreciated.

You will require a standard RS232 cable for the PC to modem. You will require an Omron type cable for the other end.

Here is a link for Omron cables
http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?download=74
and http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?download=349

You would be best to select Host Link at 9600baud anad see how you go, You may be able to increase the speed later.
If the distance is under 100 metres and not too much in the way to block the signal, I would purchase a Bluetooth system from Omron and run it on toolbus at 115kbaud. This is my preferred method of connection to CJ1 these days. Just need to set up the serial port and the Bluetooth gear.

The radio modems worked with settings as 'toolbus'. have not tried with other settings, the modems used were zigbee modems using 2.4ghz

i have made a similar connection between two plc's using two access points. access points are connected to ethernet port of plc's. they communicate wireles with ieee 802.11. it is not hard as it seems..

Yeah, it seems to work fine at 115kBaud...looks good with toolbus at the moment.
I had asked this else where, but is it true that to get Citect SCADA to work with CJ1M, I have to use FINS protocol?? The FINS gateway gives me time-out error when it tries to connect to PLC. Need some input on this.
Thanks for the help.

I normally use FINS Gateway with Citect anyway. My preferred comms method is definately Controller Link.

The Citect FINS Gateway driver supports Controller Link, Sysmac Link, Sysmac Net Link, Ethernet and serial. I have used Controller Link, Sysmac Link and Ethernet successfully with Citect but have never tried serial - too slow.

By the way I normally have multiple PLCs between 4 an 9 to Citect - invariably with Device Net and/or Modbus RTU loops hanging off the PLCs - sometimes even explicit messaging over Device Net.

There is an old Citect serial driver I have used before but only to older PLCs - C200H - C200HS. I do not know if the old serial driver has been updated to read memory areas of the newer PLCs.

I also understand Citect FINS driver does/may not read W areas in the PLCs. The other thing to watch is word boundaries - Citect is set up for even boundaries if I remember correctly. This means all double word reads have to start on an even number - eg DM2000 and not DM2001. Single word reads are OK on odd numbers if I remember correctly.

I used SAME APPLICATION BUT WITH siemens ( S7-300 ) , i used s7-300 with CP341, it was easy and usefull to connect CP341 to Radio modem , and it worked good.

Someone can help me? I need to connect by RS232 port a radio that the manufacturer of that radio does not define me any protocol, tells me that is sent in broadcast, polling. The issue of polling is clear to me, I realize, but the type of data packet to be delivered to the radio, I do not understand. This is a M340 PLC by Schneider.