Lantronix UDS-10-IAP Serial to Ethernet Converter??

ScottR

Has anyone ever used one? I have a serial barcode attached to it.

-I can assign the UDS-10 an IP address.
-I can ping the UDS-10.
-I can use Hyperterminal and attach to the UDS-10 using TCP/IP(Winsock).
- I have verified the com port settings are EXACTLY the same.

The status light blinks when I scan a code but the data is not passed to Hyperterminal.

If I attach the scanner directly to the serial port and scan a barcode the data is displayed in Hyperterminal.

There are a lot of setup options in the Lantronix and I am not sure if they are correct!

Scott,
Have you considered using the DeviceMaster RTS if connecting back to a PC, or the DeviceMaster UP for connecting to a PLC? We've developed some handy enhancements making data transfer to the PLC extremely simple.

I'd be happy to send you an evaluation unit at no charge for testing, if you'd like?

Please feel free to contact me directly.

scott,

I set up one of these monsters a few months back. Unfortunately my long term memory isn't working too well today. I remember banging my head into the wall for a few days, then all of a sudden it just worked! It turned out to be one of those obscure settings on one of the many pages of set up parameters. I am using the device for a serial printer interface. The printer is one of those SATO lablers. Anyhow .. sorry I can't help much, but I feel your pain! Maybe if you can ask a more specific question it will jog my memory.
BD

really long shot . . .

Some devices that I've read bar codes into expect a carriage return or "enter" to signal end of message, at which time the entire message gets "packed" and sent.

Is your serial bar code reader terminating in a carriage return?
Could the serial server be looking for a terminator?

Dan

The barcode scanner decodes the barcode then sends it and then sends a CR. That all works in HyperTerminal and also in my Kepware OPC driver over a serial port. I just cannot get it to work when it is connected to the Lantronix.

Scott,

I went to the Lantronix site & got the user manual pdf file.
If memory serves me tonight the trouble I had was with the I/F mode options,port number, and the connect mode settings.
I/F (interface)
4C=RS232C,8 BIT,NO PARITY,1 STOP BIT
78=RS-232C, 7-bit, Even Parity, 1 stop bit
4F=RS-485 2-Wire, 8-bit, No Parity, 1 stop bit
5D=RS-422, 8-bit, Odd Parity, 1 stop bit

PORT = ????????​
CONNECTMODE:​
C5=AUTO CONNECT,ACCEPT UNCONDITIONAL​

Your setup may be completely different. I just banged away at these settings until it worked. I had to use the UDS-100 serial port for configuration changes, couldn't get the interface to work correctly over Ethernet.​
Good Luck​
BD​

Like BD said, make sure that the serial protocol set in the Lantronix is compatible with the protocol of the Barcode scanner.

I have included a word document with the settings I use to connect our dosingcomputer to the UDS-10 module.