two PLC connect to single 4-20mA source

jnherm

hello everybody, is it possible to connect 2 PLCs analog(4-20mA) inputs from a single 4-20mA source? How? Is there available amplifier for the 4-20mA source?

Yes it is possible. A typical PLC input resistance for current is 250ohms.(times 2= 500 ohms)
Most transmitters will have specs. that look like this

Load.jpg

So if you have a 24VDC power supply (typical) you can have a total load of about 750 ohms.
I wouldn't push it, 500 should be ok.

Check the Specs. for your equipment.

Or use something like this
http://www.miinet.com/products/sg_signal.shtml (my preferred method)

Last edited:
Hello Michey!
Have you experience it already that you connected 2 plc input from a single 4-20mA, because if we directly connect the two plcs the current would be divided into 2, so for instance the transmitter will output 10mA the 2 PLCs will receive 5mA each. for transmitter with 0-10V for example will be ok since both will receive the same voltage levels, but here we are dealing with current.

mamper4201qk9.gif

maredundantem5.gif

Resistance Current --> Input U​

50 Ohm +/-20 mA --> +/-1 V​

250 Ohm +/-20 mA --> +/-5 V​

250 Ohm 4...20 mA --> 1...5V​

see PDF Automation System S7-400H Fault-tolerant Systems A5E00267695-02

You connect them in series.( current is the same thru-out a series circuit) Again my prefered method would be to use some kind of isolator.

Dont connect 4- 20 ma in series to two analog inpus use signal multiplier avaliable with MTL make & phenoix contact many other

If the PLC inputs are differential, it may work - depends on the electrical isolation between the two. If the inputs are single-ended, then you can't do it.

And yes, current inputs would be wired in series, voltage inputs in parallel.

tnx!

To Everybody who contributes, thank you very much!
To EKbist, Can you explain to me in plain english what you contributed? I don't understand Greek. Thanks

Hi Mickey! are you familiar with Siemens and GE PLCs? that's the two plcs im mentioning above. And the 4-20mA Transmitter im working with is a single-ended one. do i have any option not to use isolated system?

You could connect both inputs to the PLC's in series from a single current source and as previously stated above provided that the current source can handle the loading but only if the inputs are floating (not earthed or connected to a common zero potential) otherwise it will not work. The safest is probably to use a current unit which accepts one 4-20 mA input and provides two 4-20 mA outputs.

jnherm said:
Hi Mickey! are you familiar with Siemens and GE PLCs? that's the two plcs im mentioning above. And the 4-20mA Transmitter im working with is a single-ended one. do i have any option not to use isolated system?

Sorry, no I am not. I'm an AB and Controlmicrosystems SCADAPack
guy. I think single-ended is going to be a problem for you without
some kind of isolation.