TechConnect for Knowledgebase?!

In the past couple of years, I've softened my attitude towards Rockwell over charging for tech support. This is due to the fact that charging for tech support is increasingly an industry-wide practice.

Now, I saw a post a little while ago that stated that to access the KB, you needed to input a tech connect contract number. I checked for myself, and yes, there it is. You can also enter "PUBLIC" to view "basic content".

So what is the distinction between basic and premium content? Can you still find out how to do a high-speed counter on an ML1200? Or is that the reason we're seeing so many Micrologix questions lately?

Look, the arguement for charging for tech support runs something like "Techs have to be paid, so rather than making them a burden on the company, charging lets those who use the service support the service." I may not agree with the principle, but I do understand it.

But this makes no sense. KB articles are basic stuff. Quick start guides. OS bug info. Solutions to common application problems. And once written, they aren't a further burden on the company (let's not split hairs about server space and bandwidth, this is the 800-lb gorilla of the automation world we're discussing here).

- Deleted incorrect assumptions -

TM

Last edited:
Checked it out

So I just pulled a little bait-and-switch...

I created an account for myself under a false name using a real email address I keep for spam, and then a real account under my own name, using my tech connect info.

It seems the only difference is the "Ask a question" tab. The answer count is the same for both accounts, so no articles are missing from one to another. But you can only post a question if you have a tech account.

Alright, I am mollified - as long as the KB articles remain available to the public.

TM

Have you tried using the Public version? We have a Tech Connect contract so I am not sure how the public access has changed.

I see you answered my question before I posted it.:)

For our company the support is really not optional. We have lots of service contracts with customers. The cost of Rockwell support pales in comparison to being able to get a customer up and running as quickly as possible.

Last edited: