pulse splitter?

Ken Moore

Lifetime Supporting Member
I currently have a Rosemount mag flow meter configured for a pulse output, that is connected to a PLC-5 via a 1771-CFM module. The meter is located about 500 meters from the PLC. The meter is used to measure waste water entering a holding basin, the CFM module gives me total and rate. Works great, no issues.

I now need to add a sample system locally at the meter. The sample system needs to count pulses from the meter and take a sample every so many pulses.
The easiest way seems to install some sort of pulse splitter, one pulse input, and two outputs. I've never used a pulse splitter before, and I'm looking for suggestions.

I googled this one: http://www.m-system.co.jp/mssenglish/PDF/ES/W/eswypd.pdf

But, I'd rather have a recommendation from someone who has used one.

Another possiblity I've been thinking about is using wireless I/O and sending a signal directly from the PLC to the Sampling system.

Cheap & Easy

The new Red Lion CUB5 series units have a preset option capability and I've never seen a CUB5 load a pulse signal in the 10+ years I've used them where they affected the original terminated circuit. Very inexpensive and reliable. http://www.redlion.net/products/digitalandanalog/counters/counterrate/cub5.html
Just install it local to the MAG meter XMTR and "share" the pulse circuit with the CFM module. Worst case maybe a pull-up/down resistor would be needed, but not likely. Good Luck.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you would need a "splitter".

The pulse output is essentially a voltage signal. You can put a number of devices in parallel on a single voltage output without problem. You just have to make sure the total impedence of the devices stays within the allowable range of the pulse output, that all devices are rated at the same voltage as the input, and you don't have the inputs to the devices tied to graound at more than one point.

If you can't parallel the different devices for one of the above reasons, just use a relay to repeat the pulses. Use can use a solid state relay for a fast pulse, and a conventional relay for a slow one.