AB 1784PKTX Comms probs

mchieff

I have a 1784-PKTX card in a Dell Optiplex GX150 box running Win2K (SP2) with RSLinx v2.40.01 (Build 16) and RSlogix 5. Whenever you attempt to download a large program there is a communication error and it fails. This is with two separate PLC's. Any ideas - the PC does not have a PNP Bios option, and RSLinx RSWho intermittently crosses the connections out. I have tried adjusting the time-outs but to no luck.
Thanks for your help :D

Solved my own problem.
1784-PKTX cards require 5V PCI slots. The Dell Optiplex GX150's PCI slots only support 3.5V.
Solution - do not use Dell.

Good work; I would have still been dinking around with an oscilloscope on the DH+ !

Here's the Knowbase document about the handful of different PCI slot specifications on the market versus the PCI design A-B uses.

Knowbase P33658661

I'm surprised that the Optiplex G150 doesn't support both 5V and 3.3V PCI cards. Is there a BIOS setting or motherboard jumper you can change ?

(Edit note; I went looking for info on Optiplex PCI slots on Dell's Forum site... virtually all posts had zero Replies. I am startled that the voltage level of Dell's PCI slots appears nowhere in the documentation I could find. I did find one note saying the PCI subsystem complies with the PCI 2.2 standard, but I think that covers any of a half-dozen implementations.)

Last edited:
The Dell does not support it - AT ALL. Joke. The knowledge base article you pointed out is indeed the one that started my search to find out Dells PCI specs - they say "up to 3.5v only - sorry". Handy that.