Looking for people to test a program

Archie

I am developing an implementation of the AB DF1 protocol for the .NET framework that I will release as open source software.
I hope to find some people that are willing to do some quick tests and give me feedback.

So far I have sucessfully tested it on a Micrologix and limited testing on a SLC 5/03.

The program is based on the .NET 2.0 framework, so it will need to be run on a computer that has the framework installed. The program can be downloaded from the following link:

http://hmitemplates.com/abdf1.zip

If you would like to install the .NET framework, it can be downloaded here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&DisplayLang=en

The program currently only supports DF1 full duplex over an RS232 connection.

The test program is very simple and self explanatory. It merely reads and writes data table values without the need of other software such as RSLinx. Currently I do know the mode changing only works on the micrologix.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Archie,

This is what I got...but it may be me, this was on a 504, what else can I try?, I got this when I tried to auto config the COM

erro1r.gif

I appreciate the feedback, this is exactly what I need to see to help me improve the driver.

Unfortunatly, this one has me stumped. I tried it on the two computers I have and can't seem to reproduce it.

If you by any chance have Visual Basic 2005 (Express or full), here is the link to a copy of the source code:

http://hmitemplates.com/ABDF1Source.zip

You can run it in the VB IDE and hopefully get more information on what is causing the error.

Thanks

here are some details from that error, I have VB but not much time tonight...still trying to a start up going from last weekend.

I will try more tomorrow, can I set the comms manually? if so any guess?

erro2r2.gif

Archie,

Here's a up date...

Tried your new zip, got the same result, I normally use DH+ for comms, so I config a driver in linx (well I tried) I had channel 0 set up for 485, I was doing some ascii data transfer with df1...long story short...the issue was me, you will get a error if the PLC is config wrong

Everything works great, except run/program mode, that had no change in the cpu

Very good work, sorry about the horrific colors in the screen shots, I only have .gif on this pc and it changes the color when its made, hope this helps, if you need anymore let me know

testingdf.gif

I tried the program with a Micrologix 1200, but the results are suspect.

1. Can't seem to write to N7:0 or N7:1. (These are the only elements in the N7 data table.) Reading works fine.

2. I read 4 elements, B3:0/0 thru B3:0/3. Values were (MSB) 1 0 0 1 (LSB). I then wrote a 0 to B3:0/0. Next I re-read B3:0/0 through B3:0/3 and all values were 0. Appears like B3:0/3 was cleared when it should not have been.

3. A write to B3:0/x always seems to affect B3:0/0.

That's pretty much all I tried.

Thanks a million for the effort and feedback! I will look into and correct these issues.

Jiri.... I checked out your driver some time ago, but for this project I want it to be all open source. And my plans are to also make it work with rs232<->DH+ and rs232<->DH485 converters.

Archie,

I tested reading and righting to N7:0 and this worked fine. I could also switch it in and out of Run mode.

I tested this on a ML1100.

Edit... 3. A write to B3:0/x always seems to affect B3:0/0.
I found the same thing.

Last edited:
Next Version

OK guys...... Using your feedback, I corrected a few bugs and added more features.

It now supports DH485, but I expect that protocol to be flaky at best because of my limited ability to test it. The DH485 protocol specification is not readily available, so it took massive amounts of reverse engineering.

Once again, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I'm also looking for suggestions of useful utilities to develop using this driver. For example, I am going to try to write a program that allows you to connect to a processor, click a button and have it save a snapshot of all of the data tables to a file on disk. Then have another button that will tell it to read from the file and write all the data back to the processor data tables.
This utility can be useful for restoring machine settings after a program download or to copy settings/recipes to multiple machines.

The latest version can be downloaded from the same location:

http://hmitemplates.com/ABDF1.zip

Other protocols

hipoint2 said:
Have you ever done anything with a ethernet driver?

For Allen Bradley (Ethernet/IP), not yet. That one will probably come after the Omron Hostlink is completed or the demand shifts priority.

Archie,

Do you expect this to work on a Compact Logix? We have an L31 and I may take it home and dink around with it.

Good work Archie, I'm actually pretty excited about your project.

Dustin