1784-PCMK w/pcm 4/B Cable

hchad18

Is this a more stable choice for connecting to the SLC 500 than the PIC cable? I've been doing alot of research and the PIC has alot of issues with win 2000. None of them I seem to be able to resolve. I need to be able to tell my boss this will work, so they dont spend the money and it doesnt work either.
I just need a little reasurance.

The PCMK is the best choice when connecting to AB plcs with any Windows version, just make sure you have the correct cable.

If you just need DH485 and serial then a 1747-UIC will work. The UIC for Dha485 and plain null modem for serial.

What model SLC are you connecting to?

That will determine what interface type you can use. (DH485/DH+/RS232/Ethernet)

If you're looking to connect to an older SLC 5/01, 5/02, or 5/03, you will need a DH485 Interface. The 1747-UIC is a USB to DH485 box and is essentially a modernized PIC.

Yup a real one, not a card. Already been through all the troubleshooting mess. Now I just want to get past that and get something that's not such a nightmare.

First back to your original question, I don't think you need the PCMK. I think you will be happy with the 1747-UIC.

As for the PIC might want to start at the top and go through how you have configured it. Few quick ideas. PIC must run RsLinx as an application and not a service. Check for other things using the serial port including the DF1 driver of RsLinx

TWControls said:
First back to your original question, I don't think you need the PCMK. I think you will be happy with the 1747-UIC.

As for the PIC might want to start at the top and go through how you have configured it. Few quick ideas. PIC must run RsLinx as an application and not a service. Check for other things using the serial port including the DF1 driver of RsLinx

I have a whole other thread about this, about two or so down from this one. I've also never heard of the 1747-UIC. Will this be more reliable than the 1747-pic/aic+? Also will the 1747-UIC be able to use the USB port if the USB port cant be changed to a com port?

Last edited:
I mention this things to you, A PCMK - I've been using that for almost 5 years and it's very good a little bit expensive but its really ok, PCMK series B for you to have a dual option, for SLC 5/02- 03, uses DH485, While for SLC 5/04 DH+

hchad18 said:
I have a whole other thread about this, about two or so down from this one. I've also never heard of the 1747-UIC. Will this be more reliable than the 1747-pic/aic+? Also will the 1747-UIC be able to use the USB port if the USB port cant be changed to a com port?

1747-UIC Stuff:

More stuff to read, can't stop now.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pp/1747-pp017_-en-e.pdf
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1747-in063_-en-p.pdf

Lets put this in plain English.

The UIC is a direct replacement for the PIC designed to work with W2K or XP, the U means USB.

The PCMK is a PCMCIA card that is expensive (relative to what you do with it) but allows connection to all AB cpus with correct software and cable.

If all you need is DH485 then look at the UIC, approximately $300.

When you plug in the 1747-UIC, it is detected by Windows as though it was an RS-232/USB converter (which is the basis for what's inside, anyhow). Windows will assign it a COM port number, which you can see in the Windows Device Manager under "Ports".

My 1747-UIC enumerates as COM5, so I creat a DF1 Full Duplex driver set for COM5, and off I go. There are specific settings for the DF1 configuration that are described in the UIC user manual (and I think there's a little card inside the box too).

Enough people don't read the part that says that 1747-UIC runs only at 19200 baud and not to use the Autobaud button that the next release of RSLinx Classic (2.52 ?) will have a driver selection specifically for the 1747-UIC, which hard-sets the DF1 driver settings to work with the UIC.

Thank You! Thats definetly a much better option than a 1500.00 card, or 675.00 on ebay. I just downloaded linx 2.43 ( I didnt know it was free) and I'm going to try that first before spending more money. Although I dont think it will hurt them to spend some money on it considering I got them this laptop, cables and bundles of software for free.