Help using 1784-PCMK card to connect to MicroLogix

JBreeland

Hey guys,

I'm new here and somewhat new to controls. My three years of experience so far has strictly been with all new CompactLogix controlled conveyor systems for Amazon fulfillment centers. I just started a new non-travelling controls job though and my facility has older systems I have not worked with before.

I need to connect to a MicroLogix 1500 (and soon a MicroLogix 1100). The maintenance laptop I've been given with RSLogix 500 installed on it has a 1784-PMCK Series B communications card. I was given two cables to interface between the PMCK card and the 1500.

1. 1784-PMC5/B (plugs into card at one end, 9 pin serial male at the other end)
2. 1761-CBL-PM02 (round 8 pin into 1500, 9 pin serial female at the other

I was told this combination would get me access to the controller, but I cannot figure out what driver setup to use in RSLinx to see it, and I'm not convinced this cable combination is even legit. I have updated the drivers for the 1784-PMCK.

I have also ordered a USB 1761-CBL-PM02 cable from TWControls, but it won't be here until tomorrow or next week. From reading other threads, it seems like this cable might be the best solution, but I would like to be moving forward while I wait.

Does anyone have any experience with these issues and maybe have some tips for me?

Thanks,
Justin

The only way to use the PMCK card on a micrologix would be to setup a DH 485 network and you can see the way to do that in the micrologix manual but not all micrologix have this ability.

Many of the connectors AB uses on thier cables are th same but they are not electrically compatible and as far as the PCMK they are not protocol compatible.

Best bet is to wait for your serial cable.

For most Micrologix processors, commonly all you need is a RS232 serial port and a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable and use the standard
"RS232 DF1 Devices" driver in RSLinx. Most new PCs don't have a serial port anymore, so a good USB->RS232 adapter such as AB's 9300-USBS is a necessity. There are also some forum members that sell quality items for significantly less than the AB prices.

The reason i say commonly, is because someone COULD change the communication ports from the standard DF1 communication to DH-485, so you will need a different adapter.