Ethernet with Siemens plc

orense

Hello !

My question is:

Can someone give me an easy explanation on what the difference is between industrial ethernet and profinet....???

Of course when you are using Siemens equipment...

thanks for answers....

Andreas

I was at a Siemens Profinet seminar, all Siemens ethernet CPU's or modules can be used both ways, With Profinet they have this software that will let your configure communications and choose to communicate only with specific information, one CPU to another, or only certain data etc... While being all hook up to the same network, It is the ethernet for dummies if I understand correctly...

Hell Orense;
The best source of info on Profinet is profibus.com, so for more details don't hesitate to go there.

Basically, the difference between Industrial Ethernet and Profinet (as far as the applications are concerned) is that IE is dedicated to exchange relatively large amounts of data between processors (Up to 8K of data per message over TCP) and also allows FTP and web browser functionalities (with the IT CPs). It is also a very efficient (that might not be the correct word, maybe "functional" would express it better) way to connect a SCADA package and a processor.

Profinet on the other hand is dedicated to exchanges of smaller amounts of data, very quickly, in 2 types: Profinet-I/O, where you connect I/O islands connected to the processor over TCP/IP; and Profinet-CBA, where you transfer data between processors that is uploaded from Profibus connections (this aims to interlock processors with local Profibus data into a plant-wide control application).

I hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier