Connect Siemens PLC via Ethernet to PC

Hello forum,

I am attempting to get a Siemens S7 - 300 PLC connected to our network, that way we can pull data off of it as necessary. Since the PLC does not have a ethernet module, we will be adding a Simatic Net Module (CP 343-1 Lean).

What we are trying to accomplish by doing this is, after the PLC finishes testing a part, we want to record the data using Excel 2010 and have it stored. We have already accomplished this task using Allen-Bradley PLCs and RSLinx using DDE links in Excel 2010. Now, we are trying to do the same thing but with Siemens S7 PLCs.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the reply!

Is there a step by step walkthrough on how to setup the OPC server somewhere? I have no experience with OPC servers. I also do not know what Softnet S7 Lean is nor do I know how to install/use Softnet S7 Lean. Any detailed help or links to sites/threads would be great as I do not know what needs to be done in order to accomplish our goal.

We looked at the various methods of achieving this and in the end used a Redlion datastation for ease/cost.

You can then use excel on the CSV file created.

Redlion can also communicate via MPI,Profibus of your existing CPU and has ethernet built-in