Siemens 315 to 319 upgrade

jkerin

I am currently in the process of upgrading a conveyor systems PLC from a 315 (older larger sized unit) to a 319 CPU. The CPU is in place, and the hardware config has been updated to reflect the new CPU. However..... when it was fired up, all seemed initially ok, but one of the profi nodes is suffering some kind of conflict. i.e. when an output is on, it flickers. The node is a 21 series s7-200 plc, connected as a slave to the 319, and has a barcode scanner connected to port one using freeport mode. This scanner communicates through the 200--->319--->Citect_SCADA--->SQL_database. Is there likely to be some configuration that I have not considered? or is the 319's inbuild ethernet utilised differently to the ethernet card previously used on teh 315?

I realise this is all fairly superficial information wise, but I was hoping someone else may have an idea or past experienc in the matter.

Regards, John.

some further information ....

The ethernet unit that was connected to the 315 was a CP343-1 TCP

One difference we can see is that on the older unit I/O ranges were specified, wheras this is not the case with the PN-I/O on the 319-3 PN/DP.

jkerin.

"it flickers" ? An LED ? Or the output itself ?
Try to be more specific.

Try to investigate the HW Diagnostics (not the Diagnostic Buffer). You get pretty detailed information on Profibus errors if there are any.

Try swap hardware. See if the error disappears or follows the swapped hardware modules.

I dont see the connection with this error on Profibus with ethernet.

Hi Jasper. The relevance to ethernet, is that this station is part of a link that our PLC system uses to interrogate an SQL table. i.e. PLC---(via e'net)---->Citect---(via e'net)---->SQL_table.

Any output that was on, on this particular node appeared to be flickering in the field, visible via pilot lights.

We inserted the ethernet card back in physically, and also in the hardware config, and checked it was setup the same as the previous config, and the problem disapeared. Both the ethernet ports were functional. I'm not sure where the conflict might lie.

Additionally, we reduced the I/O range of the 319 from its standard 256 in and out, to 128 in and out to mimmick the capabilities of the 315 it was replacing.

Hi again.

Near impossible to say what the connection between the flickering outputs and the ethernet card was.
I would have gone online when the problem was active and I would have investigated the HW Diagnostics.