estimating expanded

exiled

Expanding on interesteds topic of
estimating small machine controls ect

How much do companies charge for A programming a new file and B fault finding a customers code. what is the difference say between the states/canada and uk/europe are they the same?
i work for a poultry processing company in the uk and we have many automated processes but when i have to go from site to site (even though they are all the same company) they charge £34.00ph for the service, so i got wondering is this the GOING RATE
who is more dependant on plcs europe or the states?

very interested in your thoughts

When I estimate programming I plan for ONE HOUR PER I/O POINT. Has gotten me pretty darn close. 350 i/o about 350 hours to program.

Our shop charges a field rate of $75 per hour, in my previous life, working for another shop. They charged $120 per hour for PLC programming onsite.

I am in the UK and I suppose my title sometimes would be 'freelance programmer' As to the rate to charge believe it or not, a plumber put me on the right road many years ago when I first started on my own.

I asked him how much he charged so that I could gauge how much I would charge - his answer - 'what you think you can get away with'

It still holds.

£34 ($50)is a fairly low rate. But as usual on this site, it depends....

I have varying rates for different customers. Some I do a lot of work for and so the rate is a lot lower. One off's are a lot more with a minumum hours charge too.

If they want me to turn up at their premises to debug code or find faults in my expensive car with my expensive laptop, leads and software and unique knowledge. They have to pay.