OPC Server

No such thing as a free OPC server that supports Ethernet/IP protocol.

You an find some free stuff here:
http://www.opcconnect.com/freesrv.php
90 % of it are demo versions that are limited to something, or only intended for simulation.

Cheapest solution is to get Rockwell RSLinx Single Node.

There was a thread recently with a free Ethernet/IP library - for Linux !

Nexus,
Kepware Kepserver EX supports that and has a 2 hour at a time free trial. The cheapest that I've seen for AB PLCs are no name brands for <$400. Rockwell does have developer packages for integrators, etc. Personally, I'd go with Kepserver EX or RSLinx. What's the project for?

JesperMP - Linux is only free if your time isn't worth anything ;). Seriously though, I'm a fan of the penguin. Hopefully with OPC UA these open source projects will implement an OPC server - too much hastle to get a DCOM based platform working on a non-MS platform! Man, that would REALLY make my day!

inductiveautomation said:
JesperMP - Linux is only free if your time isn't worth anything
I dont disagree with you. There are some projects to make an open source SCADA package, and also an open source soft PLC on Linux. But they dont seem to be moving anywhere.
The best example of open source is Libnodave (and maybe the abovementioned Ethernet/IP - but their site was down (dead ?) the last time I wanted to check up on their progress).

All the Linux SCADA packages I've encountered (I spend considerable time looking) seem pretty far removed from being workable in a production environment (with the possible exception of PVBrowser). It's tough because there is so much that a workable SCADA package needs to support, plus it needs to be easy to use and well documented, AND it needs to be bulletproof on the client. Similar deal with a Soft Linux PLCs - theoretically they could blow away any existing PLC hardware in all regards, but you don't have anywhere near the development time/expertise to pull this off - AND the industrial industry (currently) rejects the idea due to previous failed PC based attempts and confidence in physical hardware. Unfortunately, the same people tend to share similar ideas about open source software versus big name commercial for control software. It's rediculous to me too ;), but that's how it goes.

What would be sweet is if the AB Ethernet/IP (or a similar project) were to implement an OPC Server. I think the main reason this hasn't been done is that OPC-DA is so heavily DCOM based. Hopefully the open source community will take off and run with OPC UA. This way, these packages could be viably used with any commercial and many open source projects. I don't think "drivers" are so stigmatized by end users. As the install base increases there, I think it would be more viable to expand to full SCADA systems, etc.

JesperMP said:
I dont disagree with you. There are some projects to make an open source SCADA package, and also an open source soft PLC on Linux. But they dont seem to be moving anywhere.
The best example of open source is Libnodave (and maybe the abovementioned Ethernet/IP - but their site was down (dead ?) the last time I wanted to check up on their progress).

You want free ? ok but need lot of time must do some programming .From the OPC founadation side you can download the libraries for server and client ,with a programming package like C+ , vb or Delphi you can write server ,most deficult part is to do the error handling.
Cheers

Eric

You're talking about writing an Ethernet OPC server for AB PLCs in your spare time? If anyone has the time, expertise, and inclination, please make it a Sourceforge project.

aikona said:
You want free ? ok but need lot of time must do some programming .From the OPC founadation side you can download the libraries for server and client ,with a programming package like C+ , vb or Delphi you can write server ,most deficult part is to do the error handling.
Cheers

Eric