Beckhoff

Jon R

Has anybody had any experience of Beckhoff equipment? What is the quality like? How easy is the development/programming compared to other mfrs?

Cheers,

Jon.

I've been using Beckhoff hardware and the TwinCAT software for over 6 years now.

Hardware has proven to be very robust and reliable. It has stood the test of time.

Software probably has the most flexibilty than any other control software that I have used. Of course, quantity of features comes with a cost of complexity. I can write programs as quick and easy with it as I can any other. I find that I can accomplish some things with TwinCAT that could not have been done with other options that I was given.

I have even given training classes in TwinCAT and had maintenance men writing programs with a 3 day course.

I think very highly of TwinCAT, but for people that are strictly ladder logic programmers, they will most likely be disappointed.

One last thing.... the software is based on 3S software as is many other manufacturers' programming software such as Wago. So if you learn one, then you already know how to program many manufacturer's PLCs. I've even interchanged libraries from multiple manufacturers.

I started using Beckhoff IO for device net with AB controllers about 6 months ago. My guess is I've used it on somewhere around a hundred IO points now, both discrete and analog. Its easy to set up, its inexpensive, and customer support has been excellent. I recommend it.

Cheers for the replies. I had the guy from Beckhoff in the UK come to see me and I got the impression that they are a good solid outfit. Beckhoff seem to make add-ons for most situations, several trees must have given their life for the catalogue!

As for the ladder programming issue, I can understand where you are coming from as this is all I have done with Idec. However I will try and get on a training course as well as doing some playing with the software.

Jon.

A Beckhoff by any other name could also be a WAGO

Jon R said:
Has anybody had any experience of Beckhoff equipment? What is the quality like? How easy is the development/programming compared to other mfrs?

Cheers,

Jon.

I've been biting my tongue for 3 days now...I am really a novice at PLC anything, been a maintenance guy for 8 yrs. I have had most of my "learning" on PLC2, 5, SLC 500, and also more recently 5000, (AB stuff). We have a conveyor system that was installed about the time I started this job, (1999), and uses a GLC (Graphic Logic Controller), sort of a HMI/plc unit, coupled with the Beckhoff remote I/O modules out in the field, I believe there are six remote panels in addition to the main panel. The "GLC" was developed by Total Control Products, (TCP), and was sold to GE shortly after our system was purchased. Virtually no support was available at the time, GE wasn't really interested in support, but more in selling us a Fanuc system. For whatever multitude of possibilities may exist, the Beckhoff's red fault indicators have gotten a workout like no other LED's I've ever seen. I believe (the din mounting which positions) the contacts between the modules are probably the weakest link. Sometimes the fault(s) could not be cleared for hours, and everything came to a screeching halt. I have seen various situations where faulting was occuring, but the system was still running. Except you might have a conveyor running, but the "line full/high level" photo control was not working due to the fault. OUCH! We have heavy items raining out of an overhead conveyor! I'm thinking the programming and also the hardwiring is the "original" cause of such a safety problem, but faults are a regular occurance. I have reset (cycled power) to more Beckhoff modules to clear I/O faults than you care to read about. I actually bought mini toglle sw's that din mount to cycle power without removing the +24 VDC wire. Oh yeah, we also have some WAGO remote I/O that acts in a similar fashion. Blinking red LED, machine still runs...You would think that if the module was faulted, no outputs would be operational!!! I believe this is called a "failsafe". My fingers are tired. I could write volumes on what some of the guys call "K-Mart I/O" in the plant. All I know is we never have this kind of nonsense with our old AB controllers. But if you only need to level a table leg about a half inch, Beckhoff would work better than a 5/40. I can hear the keyboards clicking from here....:rolleyes:

Jon R said:

Cheers,

Jon.

HI

First time I was using Beckhoff was in 1997, with the lightbus I/O system on a Mitsubishi. No problem with installation, setup of the system or under production.

I have also been using Beckhoff Fieldbus Box and Bus Terminal on Profibus on Siemens S7-300 and S7-400 systems with no problems.

So for me Beckhoff is very good, and recommend. (y)