How to point the Tag Address on a PanelView 600

edwinmart

I am using a CompactLogix 1769-L31 and programing using RSLogix 5000. The problem its that the RSLogix 5000 dont use address like the SLC type. Example: N5:0/1. It uses tags (like variables). But when I put a tag on the address field of the tag properties in the PanelBuilder I get an error. "The tag address for this tag is invalid".

I tried generating the tag list on the RSLogix 5000 to be imported in the PanelBuilder32 but nothing happend in makes a sound like is finish but nothing get added.

please help.

Last edited:
Make an array of elementary types (like MY_INT_ARRAY[50]),
then in Logix 5000, use the 'Logic | Map PLC/SLC Messages' to map that array to an equivilant type and file (in this case, say "N10").

The Classic Panelview can then refer to "N10:3" to access the element at "MY_INT_ARRAY[3]".

Classic PV's can only reference Controller Level tags as I recall. If you are using DH+ or a an older comm protocol I you will have to do what rdrast suggests and map an int array as a PLC/SLC file as these older protocols can't handle the 32 bit address structuring. If you are using Controllnet or Ethernet you should be able to reference controller tags by name.

You have to remap you addresses, That means that you have to convert your Rslogix5000 addresses to be compatible with the panelview 600

On Rslogix5000 main menu go to logic>map plc/slc messages and make your address conversion.

on "clx slc conversion" you will see data conversion on rslogix 5000 on "clx slc conversion2" you will see tag editor on panelbuilder software.

hope this will help you.

william

I read the repply and I tried to do what you said, but didnt get it, the how to...

Let me try to be more specific, I have 3 input modules of 32 inputs each and 1 ouput module of 16 outs.

Each input appears inside the "Controller Tags" section and its named as Local1:I.Data0, Local1:I.Data1, Local1:I.Data2, Local2:I.Data0 and so on. I have created some Alias tag like "ENTRADA1_00" that is an alias for Local1:I.Data.0, "ENTRADA1_01" for Local1:I.Data.1 and so on...

When I tried to Logic -> Map PLC/SLC Messages
on the Tag column appears Local1:I, Local2:I, etc. The whole module and theres no ENTRADA1_00 or ENTRADA1_01 listed.

Firstly, don't directly use the I/O when going to an HMI. Buffer it (trust me) internally.

See the attached file for an example.

This maps the following:
Local:1:I.Data.00-15 to 'PLC/SLC' register N10:0 Local:1:I.Data.16-31 to 'PLC/SLC' Register N10:1
Local:2:I.Data.00-15 to 'PLC/SLC' register N10:2 Local:2:I.Data.16-31 to 'PLC/SLC' Register N10:3
Local:3:I.Data.00-15 to 'PLC/SLC' register N10:4 Local:3:I.Data.16-31 to 'PLC/SLC' Register N10:5
Local:4:0.Data.00-15 to 'PLC/SLC' register N10:6

I wasnt able to open the example file It saids it was made with a newer version of the RSLogix. My version is the V13.03.00.

I attached my file so you can check it out.

As RDRAST explained is the way to go.
Please note that you can also add new variables either integer or real and use them with the PV600.
Look to my example above.

saludos,

william

Thanks rdrast and william for the help. I just did what you did I created the array but because I am using 32 inputs modules I created as DINT[3], and the rung I added the COP instruction copying the whole module to each tag. Ex: COP(LOCAL:1:I,ENTRADAS[0],32).

And I mapped the array I dont know if theres a problem with the 32 bits using the mapping feature, because using 6 16 bits blocks didnt get how to COP the module inputs 0-15 to ENTRADAS[0] then 16-31 to ENTRADAS[1] if so please tell.

Last edited:
The COP instruction does a 'blind copy'. That is, it starts from the first 'byte' of the source, and copies it into the first 'byte' of the destination. The copy continues until the "Length" parameter is met. Length is how many DESTINATION elements to fill.

So, when doing a COP from a DINT to an INT array, with LENGTH 2, the first two bytes of the DINT are copied into the first integer in the array, and the second two bytes are copied into the second integer in the array.

I suggest using INT's for the panelview array, as they are universally accepted by all Panelviews. I don't recall how well Panelviews handle long (4 byte) integers.