Alarms via plc to cell phone

primerax

My company is currently installing a temporary remote pumping station for one of our customers.The pump is powered by a diesel engine as there is no power near to the location.The engine has a control panel to which we want to install a small plc to monitor faults ie.oil pressure low,battery voltage low,fuel level low,engine cutout etc.
I would really appreciate your help in selecting the type of plc and also how to commuicate these alarm states by text message to a cell phone.

All the best.

Do you need a PLC. That is, does the control panel already monitor these conditions and you just need to transmit them somewhere or do you need to use the PLC to first identify a problem exists?
Either way then the question is "why do you need to transmit the exact fault" Any fault will require a site visit so it only adds to the cost to transmit the exact fault type. We wait your reply. Regards Alan Case

AutomationDirect.com has models that operate on 12VDC that you could use. You could use a basic module to opearte a modem to the cell phone, or you could use an autodialer like those made by RACO to call out voice alarm messages based on switches tied to the dialer.

Raco dialer

Tom,
Have you actually used Raco autodialer? I have a project where I am
thinking of using one. The thing that puts me off is the idea of having long cable runs at 5 VDC. The Raco inputs work on 5 VDC.
Did you or anyone else use Raco and what do you think of it?
Thanks.

I haven't sold them as part of my system, but I have a number of projects where the alarm outputs of our system are tied to RACOs. We just provide the dry contact. I haven't had any problems with false trips, and the operators I work with seem happy with them. You might talk to your local rep - I think they have 24 VDC as well as 5 VDC, but I'm not sure. At any rate, on hte last job with a RACO we ran the wiring over a VFD and into an MCC, and they haven't had false trips.

Have successfully used an Omron CJ1 and GSM modem to send signals to a mobile phone in Australia. If you require details please contact me.
beerchug

Have a look at the Westermo web site.

They have GSM Modems for sending Text Messages to Mobile Telephones.

They also supply Radio Modems as well as "Power Line" modems.

Regards,

Depending on the lenght of the messages this can be done using a AB micrologix 1200 and a GSM modem and send text messages to a mobile on a certain fault.
:)

Control microsystems SCADApk....most likely the lite verson. If you have AMPS celular service you can use the Cellular 9600 by Blackbox. This is a plug and play combination. Well....you need to write some PLC code but thats what you do anyhow.

We build these into panels and plant them all over the place running pump stations and irragation controllers in vinyards all over No. Calif. Simple, fairly cheep and real reliable.

Lenny

Phone Modem

I used Marc modems, out of Texas, with A-B PLC-5 family, the style I used were slot mounted, they fit into the A-B chassis, receiving their power from the back-plane.

Roger

Alan Case said:
Do you need a PLC. That is, does the control panel already monitor these conditions and you just need to transmit them somewhere or do you need to use the PLC to first identify a problem exists?
Either way then the question is "why do you need to transmit the exact fault" Any fault will require a site visit so it only adds to the cost to transmit the exact fault type. We wait your reply. Regards Alan Case

I need to use PLC to identify and then transmit directly the exact fault message so we could guide the operators on something that they dont understand or doubt before we visit to do some troubleshooting