Vista

curlyandshemp

Lifetime Supporting Member
Now that Vista has finally arrived, are we in for another round of Vista compliant, Vista certified, non Vista compatible series of events with HMI and PLC software ?

Maybe this is one of the reasons Rockwell has delayed V16 of Contrologix .

I am serious considering switch to MAC, has anyone been able to make RSlogix 5K,500,5 and RSView Studio run under the XP compatible mode of the Apple's OSX ?

Ian

I'm really expecting this, too -- just like when XP came out.

Don't know that I'd be interested in a Mac, though... But I'd be extremely interested in a way of using Linux, though!

MacBook Pro

curlyandshemp said:
Now that Vista has finally arrived, are we in for another round of Vista compliant, Vista certified, non Vista compatible series of events with HMI and PLC software ?

Maybe this is one of the reasons Rockwell has delayed V16 of Contrologix .

I am serious considering switch to MAC, has anyone been able to make RSlogix 5K,500,5 and RSView Studio run under the XP compatible mode of the Apple's OSX ?

Ian

Hey Ian,

I bought one of the new MacBook Pro laptops (Core 2 Duo) the day they were announced. I bought the one with the 17" screen. I am running RSLogix 500 and RSLogix 5000 on it. I have not run RSView Studio on it yet but I don't anticipate problems doing so.

I am running XP Pro using Apple's Bootcamp application. It appears to me to be a normal "PC" when booted into XP Pro. I have not had any problems running any applications that I have tried. I run AutoCAD Electrical all the MS Office Applications as well with no problems.

Jerry

And it begins..........

Here is a Tech Note from the Rockwell Knowledge Base stating that RSLogix5000 v10-16 are not supported in Vista. V17 is the target for Vista, which I believe Ken Roach posted about in another thread.

http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/rockwellautomation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=35644&p_created=1161961669&p_sid=_7LsR3ti&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0zMjM0MSZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1

I really don't think it is RSLogix that is the concern though. I think RSLinx will be the issue.

I tried installing the previous version of RSLinx (2.50) in Vista RC2 and it would not install as it didn't recognize the O/S. I have not yet tried v2.51.

If you need to run Vista, perhaps you could use VMWare and run an XP virtual machine for the time being until all the software catches up to Vista. The new V6 of VMWare supports a Vista Host.

OG

OZEE said:
I'm really expecting this, too -- just like when XP came out.

Don't know that I'd be interested in a Mac, though... But I'd be extremely interested in a way of using Linux, though!

Hey Cory,

two of our guys in the office have the new MACs, these machines are awesome, and have yet to have an issue running any Windows software. They boot up fast. With all my Windoze stuff, virus protection, firewall, Automatic Updates, Rockwell stuff ....blah blah blah, my laptop now takes about 2-3 minutes from boot up to actual usage.

Ian

curlyandshemp said:
Hey Cory,

two of our guys in the office have the new MACs, these machines are awesome, and have yet to have an issue running any Windows software. They boot up fast. With all my Windoze stuff, virus protection, firewall, Automatic Updates, Rockwell stuff ....blah blah blah, my laptop now takes about 2-3 minutes from boot up to actual usage.

Ian

I don't doubt the 2-3 minutes -- that's how long it takes mine.

I'm just an Apple hater... Have been for 20+ years...

OZEE said:
I don't doubt the 2-3 minutes -- that's how long it takes mine.

I'm just an Apple hater... Have been for 20+ years...

me too, but I gotta admit you have to see the new MACs

Ian

I am a member of several forums (here, tomshardware, svrider, mesa boogie) and in every forum I see threads about how painful Vista is going to be.

Everyone is treating it like they are obligated to switch to Vista. Everyone is either switching to Mac or Linux. That is great, but why not just stay with XP.

XP is working fine for me, so I'll just stick with it.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with switching to Mac or Linux (I have a linux rig myself). It's just that why does everyone feel the need to switch because of Vista.

why does everyone feel the need to switch because of Vista
That is what Bill Gates wants everybody to do.
icon7.gif

dmroeder said:
I am a member of several forums (here, tomshardware, svrider, mesa boogie) and in every forum I see threads about how painful Vista is going to be.

Everyone is treating it like they are obligated to switch to Vista. Everyone is either switching to Mac or Linux. That is great, but why not just stay with XP.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with switching to Mac or Linux (I have a linux rig myself). It's just that why does everyone feel the need to switch because of Vista.

I don't think anyone is saying they are obligated to upgrade existing PCs, but won't Vista be standard if I want to buy, say, a new Dell? Someone mentioned that they wanted to order a new PC, and XP wasn't an option.

I think Vista compatibility is worth discussing, as it may be worth delaying computer purchases for six months or so.

dmroeder said:

Why? Simply because, in a few years time, XP will become obsolete completely, unavailable, and unsupported. The same as NT 3.51, 4.0 and Win2000.

As soon as my load lightens from current projects, I'll be deploying a Vista test bed, to see how our business software works with it.

As an aside, I've been able to install Linx 2.5 on Vista, but running it's setup program in compatablility mode. I haven't used Linx though, since that is at home.

Another aside, as much as I'm not a particular fan of Microsoft, the 'horrible incompatabilities' of application software with various versions of Windows are almost never Microsoft's fault. The bugs, over 90% of the time, are from the application developers that decide to ignore the Windows published API, and do things in an undocumented manner. "On the fly patching" of the most popular of those misbehaved programs (including some from Microsoft itself) is what the Application Compatibility Toolkit handles in the background.

There are some interesting discussions on Cnet. Worth a look. It has even been suggested Vista is the latest version of the big disaster Windows ME. It is also suggested there that it may be Microsucks way of getting paid for an XP service pack, that should be free anyway, with flash graphics. It will also force a lot of people to buy new computers. The hardware requirements are pretty huge.

With a lot of reported Microsucks tricks to protect their investment and copyrights of music and DVDs, it appears it may be an absolute pain.

Would not even consider it until at least the first major service pack anyway.

Do you remember supporting drivers and devices and the dreaded Microsoft HCL with NT? 2000 was basically an updated version of NT.

I just hope I'm wrong about Vista being the "ME" version of XP.edit. Lol, I came up with that before I read the above post. I think it's the big focus on Aero Glass and similar features that exudes the vibe...

curlyandshemp said:
NT worked great , but at some point you are forced to switch

Ian