Vista

I wasn't trying to suggest that it wasn't worth discussing (although I suppose it could have came off that way). I just hear a lot of comments about switching OS' because Microsoft released Vista.

I do see the point about prebuilt systems like Dells and such.

Edit:

Here is a article that says MS will continue to support XP until 2014.

Sure a lot of Macs showing up in my office.

My guys are all buying Mac laptops and running parallels with various operating systems loaded. Pretty nice. Something's happening out there. Never saw so many Macs in my life.

Also, have you seen Ubuntu? Looking pretty good. Wonder if Rockwell software will run on it using WINE.

I just boungt a dell latitude 620

I wanted to get it while I could still get WinXP instead of Vista. Note, it has a serial port. I really like it.

The software engineers that work on the motion controller setup software are having a 'fun' time with Vista. Vista is not that compatible with WinXP. Duh. Also, old computers do not work very well with Vista. Vista does work OK on a powerful development computer.

I have a Mac Mini and seriously thought about buying a Mac notebook and running parallels too. I still may but it would have to be just for me. The Dell laptop and XP is something every body knows. The Dell has the serial port too which the Mac doesn't. The Mac has a dvi port which is better than the vga port on the Dell. I doubt if Delta will ever design another product with a serial port though.

What do you mean by, "Vista is not that compatible with WinXP"? The problem with the old computers is two fold - the new OS is more resource intensive, and more importantly, driver support will probably be rough with old systems if it's not compatible with legacy drivers (I'm pretty sure it's not at all).

You're on to something with these macs (as is SAH)! Parallels is an amazing program, especially running on these new macs that sport Intel Core 2 duo processors. I have a friend who actually programs Windows applications professionally in Microsoft Visual Studios on a Mac running Parallels. And he claims it runs better and faster than his relatively new desktop. Simply amazing!

Peter Nachtwey said:
I wanted to get it while I could still get WinXP instead of Vista. Note, it has a serial port. I really like it.

The software engineers that work on the motion controller setup software are having a 'fun' time with Vista. Vista is not that compatible with WinXP. Duh. Also, old computers do not work very well with Vista. Vista does work OK on a powerful development computer.

I have a Mac Mini and seriously thought about buying a Mac notebook and running parallels too. I still may but it would have to be just for me. The Dell laptop and XP is something every body knows. The Dell has the serial port too which the Mac doesn't. The Mac has a dvi port which is better than the vga port on the Dell. I doubt if Delta will ever design another product with a serial port though.

Peter,

Check that serial port!! I'm on my 3rd Dell Laptop in as many weeks due to problems with the serial port. I finally bought a USB-Serial adapter (Belkin) and am using that.

Ubuntu is incredible!! I love that OS. I really doubt that RSAnything will run in WINE, though. Especially Linx...

You may or may not believe this - wher I work which is part of a very large multinational company we have just in the last 3 months upgraded to XP from 98.

I had to get special permission to get XP so I could run the right software, then when they rolled out XP I had to get special permission to be an administrator to control my laptop otherwise RS500 would crash.

And no were not that far behind down here in Aust. it's just my company!

Yet again we are in this position, why did we have to buy 2000, xp pro to run our apps.

What's wrong with standard versions, I believe a german website shows how to make home look like pro & most software for plc programming works on it, so pro is not really required, just the big boys ganging up together to make more money.
Even if some of the programs we all use like RSlogix, S7 etc. will work on Vista what version will we have to use, also now you find it difficult to find a pc with ps2, pcmcia, 232 & floppy.
Currently I use most types of plc software on a laptop with all the above but it is getting a bit old & will have to bite the bullet soon.
What do I do? new logix, s7, gx + laptop + more converters usb floppy.
It's going to cost a fortune & until I know what works with what version of vista I will have to stick with my 800mhz pentium XP Pro. in a large case full of extra floppy, usb dvd, pcmcia cards, 422 & 485 converters current loop converters & of course another case full of cables just to connect to the plc's
It's about time all plc's had ethernet & usb for local connection built in.
Mitsubishi are showing the way with the Q series, unfortunately the lower end like the q2 still only have 232, now this is what I call being in the dark ages.

Hmm kinda out of topic, but still regarding laptops. With Vista coming into the game, laptop hardware is gonna get a big boost which would make my now 3rd years laptop speeding it's outdate progress. So I would really be thinking of buying a new one maybe by the end of this year. I'll be graduating by the end of the year as well so I would really think of getting a laptop that could let me use most of the engineering software as well.

Do you guys have any suggestion on what are the requirements for most engineer used laptop like a serial port, floppy drive and so??

See post #20. It is a very good laptop for travel

I has a serial port and 4 USB ports. 2GB of memory and is small and light for travel. I use external monitors when at home or at the office so I have more viewing space. I like to tilt the external wide screen monitors 90 degrees so I can view many rungs of ladder or code. 20 inch wide screen external LCD monitors are cheap now.

I would avoid Vista until the PLC companies have new releases. We have found many problems porting WinXP code to Vista. I suspect the PLC companies will have the same problems.

About the protection of copyrights etc. We all know how long it took to before dvd-decryptor was released. Supposed to be unbreakable atm.
It still be digital, digital and creativity = not so legal copy'ing.