Serial Converters

S7Guy

Anyone have any experiance with either Ethernet-Serial or ProfiBus-Serial adapters? I have an application coming up where I have about 40 RS232 devices that will be connected to an S7 plc, and I would like to find an alternative to the Siemens CP340 and 341 cards.

Take a look at the AnyBus protocol bridges. I have used the ones for EtherNET/IP to different protocols and it has worked well. Since they use the same configuration tool for the ProfiNet gateway, I would expect the same ease of use for someone comfortable with ProfiNet (also does profibus, but profibus supports 1/2 the mapped io as Profinet).

Here is the link for the serial to fieldbus gateway.

http://www.anybus.com/products/abc.shtml

Darren

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. I will be using the ASCII protocol, and will send up to 800 bytes. Has anyone used these for larger than 512 bytes? The Siemens buffer size is 1024 bytes.

Yes, for the AnyBus. There are some status bits you can map to retrieve (or send) the additional data from the buffer in the AnyBus device. The link above has the manual somewhere and there is a description of the IO map. It is real similar to any other serial type stuff you may have done directly through a PLC serial port, just abstracted across a field bus.

At least I think this is what you were asking.

Darren

Unfortunatley the DSP only has a 256 byte input buffer when using the Raw ASCII driver. Is that a single transmission from your device will 800 bytes long, or will it take 800 bytes to get all of the data through several transmissions?

Regards,

Serial to Ethernet Convertor

Hi
We have successfully used the Moxa N5210 Serial to Ethernet convertors to put 6 S7226 and S7314 Siemens PLC onto a network the only drawback was that each PLC needed an PPI cable from the PLC to the Moxa Unit, and obviously speed was limited.

Just to add to the other posters suggestions:
What about the ET200S 1SI modules, 6ES7138-4DF01-0AB0 for example. You can add a lot more than you can put CP34x modules in a S7-300 rack.
edit: and they are much less expensive.

Dont kill me if you run into any problems with them later. I have not actually tried to use them myself.

Last edited:
Great question harryting. I've asked this question through email to the site admin, but have not heard back yet?

S7guy - I'm not sure if you're wanting to communicate 232 to TCP/IP, or if you'd like to go PROFINET. Our cba stack allows 128 bytes, which is obviously insufficient. If you're communicating TCP/IP, or even ISO-over TCP, we can handle rx data of 1024 bytes, and tx data of 256 bytes with our DeviceMaster RTS products. Also, baud rate seems to be a concern... We support up to 230 kbps as a standard offering.

I hope this helps?