Linking PLC&ATM. Wireless?

XDB

Hi everyone,
For predictive maintenance system i need to install a PLC (siemens s7? and profibus?)with A/D modules, discretes, etc... into a ship.
This is a very big ship and i need to create a star network architecture between many PLC´s at may locations and a master PC for data processing.
The problem... what kind of network?

The choices :

There is a ATM network for other purposes that may can be used, any experience linking profibus&ATM?

Any experience with Wireless into Faraday cells?¿ :(

Unfortunately cabling is not a choice.

Unfortunately cabling is not a choice.
That sounds like an impossible restriction.

Can you provide any details about the ATM network. I dont suppose it is used with Automated Teller Machines. If it is maybe an ethernet backbone, then there should be no problems with using ethernet with you S7 PLC's.

Wireless is also possible, but I have no experience with ships. I guess you could add as many access points as necessary, but it would be much more expensive than just laying a few more ethernet cables.

Aha.

Again, not knowing much about it, does it support TCP/IP in some sort ?
From the looks of it, it does not, but maybe I am wrong.

Anyway. I am sure there are lots of cables allready. I can see that it will not be easy, but if they want it they have to take the necessary steps.

About the length of cables:
If I would have to do the job, I would consider an industrial grade fiber ethernet ring for the backbone, and then split out from strategically placed swithces to all the PLCs.

Hello XDB;

If wireless is your option, have a look at Data-Linc spread-spectrum, frequency hopping Ethernet RF modems:
http://www.data-linc.com/products.htm

On the Partners page, you will find a link to Siemens interfacing, in different applications. They also show Rockwell and others.
We have used these systems in a few projects, never on a ship (aluminium plants, mostly) but that should not present any more problems than we faced.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

A "Faraday cage", if that's what you mean, is an enclosure specifically built to shield the contents from electromagnetic signals.

I'll let you work out for yourself why it might seem a little fishy to ask how to penetrate a radio shield with a radio signal.

Shipboard applications with many bulkheads and no line-of-sight might be suitable for Zigbee mesh networks, but I think that you are going to have to re-think your ideas about this ship.

I would not go for wireless. I have big problem with signals to both walkie talkie and cellphone, so I doubt wifi or other would work properly.

Very often they run multicore cable on ships, and only use some of them. So one way can be to read ships electric documentation to find all spares and and use them.