Wonderware Backups

Just zip the application folder.

You can delete all of the *.wvw, *.avl, *.??k files -- they're not needed in the archive.

That's all we do. I created a short batch file called "WW app cleaner.bat" with the following lines...

CD C:\Wonderware\Applications\WW application cleaner\application folder
del *.wvw
del *.avl
del *.*bk
del retentiv.*

When I do our backups, I copy the entire app into that application folder, run the batch file, then zip up the files for backup on a server. I do backups once a month and more frequently if doing major revisions. We also keep a hard copy log of all changes made. This makes it fairly simple to go back to a good backup and redo work done since the backup date if the existing app fails, gets corrupted or changes did not work as planned.

I use the NAD(Network Application Development) option and keep the apps in a shared folder on a server that is backed up nightly. That way if my dev node crashes, no problem because apps are on the server.

jshiepe said:
I use the NAD(Network Application Development) option and keep the apps in a shared folder on a server that is backed up nightly. That way if my dev node crashes, no problem because apps are on the server.

I wish that was a real option for me --- I support approx 45 plants all over North America, UK, and the Caribbean. Zips seem to be the most effective for my situation (and it's what I always did when was supporting just one plant)

OZEE said:
I wish that was a real option for me --- I support approx 45 plants all over North America, UK, and the Caribbean. Zips seem to be the most effective for my situation (and it's what I always did when was supporting just one plant)

I'll second that. Zipping the app folder is more effective

Yes if your backing up many individual plants zipping each one and keeping a copy on the machine and somewhere in the plant is the way to go. I also keep a copy on my machine and thumb drive. Let's just say I've been burned before.

But if you have the NAD environment setup up for multiple nodes sharing an application that is the the way to go for sure. If it crashes you simply copy the app from one of the other NAD nodes. This probably one of my favorite Wonderware functions but of course it has it's problems as well but we wont get into that here.

On version 7.0- 7.1 you may need to delete some of these bak files + some others in the scripts, If you have a lot of scripts I seem to remember we had a problem where we did some mods off site, renamed the directory to xxxxold & copied the updated one onto the pc on site, this would crash on scripting, by deleting some would cure the problem, so beware of backups, make sure you save the old one by renaming it.