Is the use of RCCB's or RCBO's required?

nonuke

I know this is't a PLC related question, but I would like to know if the use of RCCB's or RCBO's is required for machine control panels in Europe (IEC Standard). I know we have to use them in the power distribution panels, but for machine panels I have seen lots of panels with and without the residual current protection, so I don't know if it is mandatory or not.

Nonuke,

If you rephrase your question like this, I bet that you will get many responses:

"Is the use of Residual Current Protection required in European machine control panels?"

At first I did not know what you were talking about, and I don't know about the European codes.

From a safety point of view, all depends whether this new machinery has impact on the environment of the personnel, i.e. like the use of (sprayed) water for cooling purposes. IF the change of environment only has a local impact, one can install a RCCB locally (so in the machine panel) instead of changing the plant's installation.

But sometimes the customer demands a RCCB (with a lower threshold) in the machine panel to prevent a power failure in a (larger) section of the plant.

Non-fixed machines for external use in UK MUST have RCD protection. Permanently connected machines need not have, but depends on their use and provided disconnection time is less than 5 secs. Machines not permanently connected (e.g. through a socket) must have a disconnection time of less than 0,4 secs, if not then must have RCD. This is all found in the IEE BS7671 regs: if you need a copy of these applicable regs, let me know and I will e-mail them.