cant see past the 1768-ENBT module in rslinx

sethen320

This is my first time posting here, but this forum has answered my questions MANY times in the past. Im always amazed at the quality of the posts here.

Anyhow, I have been beating my head against a wall for about a week now with this one and AB tech support hasnt been able to help:
I have a CompactLogix L43 with a 1768-ENBT configured and running. I need to be able to communicate with the PLC via ethernet. I am currently running RSLinx 2.50 (I had the same problem with 2.51, so I know thats not the answer). When I connect to the ENBT via AB_ETH or AB_ETHIP I can see it, but I cant expand the node to see anything connected to it. It behaves as if the ENBT module werent connected to anything. I have added all of the EDS files even remotely related to this installation to my computer. I have tried versions of RSLinx from 2.43 to 2.51, all to no avail. I can successfully do this using a different PC (which I unfortunately have no access to anymore), so I know my rack isnt the problem.

Also, if I connect to the processor via RS-232 DF1 I cant see the ENBT...it appears i cant see the 1768 bus altogether.

Any ideas?

Any time you can "see" a module with RSLinx Classic but can't browse beyond it, you're missing an EDS file, either for the module itself or for the next device in line.

What you're describing sounds like your PC is missing the 1768 backplane EDS files:

http://www.ab.com/networks/eds/cgi-bin/detail.pl?file=XX/0001006C00600100.eds

http://www.ab.com/networks/eds/cgi-bin/detail.pl?file=XX/0001006C00610100.eds

Did you use the "EDS Hardware Installation Tool" to register these files ? You might try un-registering them with the tool, then re-registering them.

i installed the two 1768 chassis files as one of my first attempts to fix the problem. i will try un-registering them and trying again. in the event it doesnt work, any other ideas?

is there anything network related which can cause this? ive gone over my firewall settings and cant see anything unusual.

thanks,
-j

ok, i tried removing and reinstalling the EDS files...still no luck! i dont know if it helps, but at our job site 2 out of 3 laptops we had (including mine) were having the same problem.

i did. i even made sure these two ports were opened up in windows firewall and that rslinx was authorized as an exception. no luck.

success!!!!!

ok, i uninstalled both RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise, deleted ALL registry entries even remotely related to them, as well as files/directories, and rebooted then reinstalled them. it worked without having to install any EDS files.

i got it working!

i just wanted to tell you guys "thank you" for your help. i know this was kind of a freak problem (by the way AB tech support was baffled). luckily, theres a fix now if anyone else encounters it (since there are two laptops at our company with the same problem, i suppose someone will).