GE Proficy 8 Cant see variable Descriptions In Ladder

SouthernStang

Hey guys, Frustrating issue here. I have one particular PC with Proficy 8 installed that no matter what I try, I cannot get the variable descriptions to show up in the ladder logic.

I have looked at the same project on two other PC and they show the descriptions in the ladder just fine.

I made sure to make sure that View --> Descriptions --> Variables full was set

I even completely reinstalled that application

neither one of these worked.

Anyone else run into this issue in the past? What did you do to resolve it?

Thanks!!

Are all of the PCs on the same OS? Specifically 32-bit vs. 64-bit.

If you click on the variable and open the properties, does it show the description?

Have you restored a working backup from one of the other PCs?

There was an issue with, I think, version 8 where you could not view all of the data in the variable table. That should not affect the ladder logic view.

Check for SIM updates here: https://emerson-mas.force.com/communities/CC_Home

Consider upgrading your version. 10.0 is the latest.

Are all of the PCs on the same OS? Specifically 32-bit vs. 64-bit.

If you click on the variable and open the properties, does it show the description?

Have you restored a working backup from one of the other PCs?

There was an issue with, I think, version 8 where you could not view all of the data in the variable table. That should not affect the ladder logic view.

Check for SIM updates here: https://emerson-mas.force.com/communities/CC_Home

Consider upgrading your version. 10.0 is the latest.

Yes, I can see the descriptions in the properties window.

I will try to restore a backup from another PC. I havent thought of that one. I did make sure that the local version and the PLC were equal but that isnt the same thing as restoring the file completely.. so I'll try that.

I agree we need to upgrade our version and it is something that we are starting to look into but it may be awhile before I gets improved/implemented.

Fixed it:

I ended up installing SIM11 and then the descriptions started displaying.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I appreciate it.

I didn't use version 8 much, but I remember it being a pile of garbage and crashing constantly. I think it was the last version under the GE name. Emerson's version 9 and above seems to be much more stable.