panelview plus and micrologix 1000

dradef

Hello, this is my first post on the board, I am pretty new to programming and this site has been a huge help so far.

My main question is: Can I passthrough a PVPlus 600 (2711p-b6c20a and also 2711p-tc20a) ethernet port to the built in serial port so I can transfer programs to/from the Micrologix 1000 (I already have 12 various models, so please don't say just get the ML 1100 :) )? The PV+600 and ML1000 will also be together during runtime.

I have cable Cat# 2711-NC22 for between PanelView and Micrologix, which is called an "operating cable", I'm wondering if it will work for this.

My reason for wanting to do this is my new laptop doesn't have any serial ports and I have read the USB-serial adaptors can be fickle with AB, the ethernet built into the PV would seem to me the easiest way to accomplish this without going with a 1761-net-eni.

Please let me know if you need more information. I need to get this figured out before I start to get pushed on these projects.

I am very sorry if this exact thing has been discussed before, I have spent hours searching the forum and found very little.

Thanks! Greg

Probably not. The RS232 port on a PanelView is for comm to the PLC for the HMI, not for network connection generally. At least, that's my understanding of it- if there is a way to do this, I'm all ears too.

Talking to a Micro with the USB/RS-232 adapter will almost certainly work. RS-232 ("DF-1") in AB-speak is just a null modem cable. There is nothing esoteric about serial comm to a Micro or SLC. I have a Belkin cheap adapter, and it talks to my Micros and SLCs just fine. It won't talk to a DNet adapter, but that's the only problem I've ever had with it.

It's a very good question, Greg, but the answer is no.

The RSLinx Enterprise software that runs communications on the PV+ has a "virtual backplane" that connects the various interfaces on the terminal, but it doesn't pass through from EtherNet/IP to DF1 the commands and functions that are necessary for RSLogix 500 to communicate with a MicroLogix or other controller.

I've talked this over with RSI developers and the consensus is that the "PCCC" protocol encapsulation and routing that RSLogix needs will eventually be added to RSLinx Enterprise, but that it's not an active development project right now.

As far as dealing with computers that lack serial ports, most SLC/MicroLogix users end up having both a 1747-UIC for use with DH485 networks and a general-purpose USB/RS232 converter for all other applications.

My top choice for USB/RS232 converters is the Keyspan 19HS model. It's about 40 bucks from any major electronics retailer and works perfectly with almost every Rockwell and other COM-port-using application I've tried it with. It even does DF1 Autoconfig correctly, a bonus when you're working with a lot of A-B serial ports.

That is not what I wanted to hear but on the other hand is really what I expected. I don't need networking capability as far as machine function, I just thought it would be easier to debug/troubleshoot after installation, only requiring a single connection.

I ordered a Keyspan 19hs like you said.

Now I have another question. When in RSLinx Enterprise browsing the network in RSView boths PanelViews have a "child" called "1787-a17, 1787-a17 Virtual Chassis" but the version with touch and keypad also has one called "DF1P2P, DF1 Point-to-Point". I got to digging around and found when under the DF1 and found under PCCC DH485 devices/SLC DH485 is where I find the Micrologix processors. It seems to me that this is what I need to make the PV see the ML during runtime. Is that at all correct? If so, what needs to be done get get the point to point on the PanelView that doesn't have it? Is it software/firmware/just a setting?

Like I said, I have had a hard time finding information that fits exactly what I am looking for.

I have a micrologix I am using for a home project. I will get a Keyspan 19HS. I still need a null modem cable, correct? Does it matter where I get it from?
Thanks,
Greg

Hi Greg,

For the MicroLogix you will need a 1761-PM02... for programming, the null cable (or 1747-CP3) is for the PanelView

Are you programming the MicroLogix ?

I will use this plc to control different zones for air conditioning and heating in my house. I found a place to purchase the 1761-PM02 (it has part #1761-CBL-PM02, seems like it's the same)for $22. My laptop only has USB ports, would a Keyspan 19HS work on my Dell laptop? I plan to connect two thermostats and 4 powered dampers. This mostly for fun but it will help the temps in the house also.

It isn't from AB but it should work. I'll get the keyspan also. The links in your post seem good also.

Hi
I have just had similar problems getting a compact logix to talk to panelveiw plus 400. After searching net for ages and wasting 2 whole days with no success I found AB manual labelled "compact logix qick start" publication
IASIMP-QS001B-EN-P - June 2007
Chapter 11 explains how to set up Rs linx enterprise on the panelveiw using RS veiw studio. hopefully this may help even though you are communicating with micrologix. the design/local comms settings are for the comms between panelveiw and the laptop. The runtime comms settings are for the comms between the panelveiw and the PLC. I set up a device shortcut by highlighting the processor and clicking "apply". If the device isn't listed on the menu tree online you can rightclick and add a device, such as DF1P2P or panelveiw.

Hope this helps