Free AB SLC and Micrologix Software Utilies

Archie

I've posted for download a utility for SLC's and micrologix controllers. It works via RS-232 (DF1) and allows reading/writing of data table values, changing processor mode, syncing SLC clock with PC, listing data tables, monitoring data tables, and saving all data to a text file that can be opened in notepad or imported to Excel.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=192333

This software is stand alone and does not require RSLinx.

It requires .NET 2.0 and will get it from Microsoft if not already installed on the PC. Simply extract the files and run setup.exe to install.

I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions. I hope to soon have a version of it that works on Pocket PC's (e.q. HP IPAQ).

ScreenShot2Small.PNG

Ok I am slacking, I was going to test this on Friday over DeviceNet but ran out of time. I will try it tomorrow since I have a DeviceNet presentation to do in the morning.

Thanks,
Joe_WaZoo

Joe_WaZoo said:
Ok I am slacking, I was going to test this on Friday over DeviceNet but ran out of time. I will try it tomorrow since I have a DeviceNet presentation to do in the morning.
Joe
The link in this post is a more polished version than the last one I sent you. The data table monitoring is now usable. I also packaged it in an installer (setup.exe), which basically means it will automatically check for the .NET framework, install it if necessary, and add the program to the Start Menu.

Here is a look at the working demo for the pocket PC:

ABPocketPC.JPG

When you drop down the file selection box, it retreives the available file list from the PLC. After selecting the file, you can then selecting the element and at that point it shows the current value read from the PLC. You can edit the value and write the new value back.

It is a very early working version, so its far from ready to release. I hope to also add many other features such as fault clearing and reading/writing of entire data tables.

Let me know if anyone can think of any useful features I can add to this because I will be distributing it for free when its ready.

I tried a program similiar to this about 5 or 6 years ago. It was called Pocket HMI and it ran on my old Palm Pilot. It's funny that the website still comes up but it still looks like it did 5 years ago. Would be nice to have something that would run on the Pocket PC format.

This looks great, If I could hook up with a PDA and quickly speed up various timers instead of going back to my office and lugging my laptop out on the floor and finding a table. I kinda wish now that the PLCs stored small descriptions so that could be gathered as well.

I wonder if there's any way to export a description file into like... excel... for this program to refrence?

Or would that be crossing into a gray area and AB would start getting angry? Or is this already crossing into a gray area?

EDIT:
I guess as long as nothing was borrowed from AB software, it'd be safe. I'm assuming it's the same as video game emulators, the illegal part of them is the BIOS file that is usually stolen from the video game company, but if a BIOS is written from scratch by the programmer, then there's nothing being stolen.

Last edited:
Tharon said:
I kinda wish now that the PLCs stored small descriptions so that could be gathered as well.

I wonder if there's any way to export a description file into like... excel... for this program to refrence?

Or would that be crossing into a gray area and AB would start getting angry? Or is this already crossing into a gray area?

That's a good idea... I'll look into seeing if I can get descriptors from RSLogix to import into this program.

As for the gray area, 95% of this program was developed from Allen Bradley's published protocol that can be downloaded from their web site.

Very nice work.

I am interested on trying to extend your work to include an ethernet driver.

I had been using VB.net 2003 to learn VB (I used to program C, C++), so I was able to pick it up pretty quickly.
I'm looking at getting the free VB.net Express Edition from Microsoft's Page.
Do you have any info or advice for me?

jimbo3123 said:
Jimbo

I assume you are referring to Ethernet/IP. There is another variation that works with the earlier versions of the SLC 5/05, but Ethernet/IP is much more widely used.

I can start out by saying that protocol implementation can be very challenging. The Ethernet/IP protocol is a particular challenging protocol, not so much because of the protocol itself, but more so because it is documented in such an abstract way.

I intend to implement a version of the protocol as time permits. Unlike DF1, the Ethernet/IP specification is not readily available. It will run about $850 for the latest.

I have an earlier version of the spec and will be glad to send it to you if you send me an email address in a private message.

To start out here are a few useful links:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/enabled/guides.html

http://www.iatips.com/

If you go to the following web site and search "Allen Bradley", you will find a couple of ethernet implentations for other platforms. Unfortunately, none of them are heavily documented:

http://www.freshmeat.net

Hope this helps

jimbo3123 said:
Very nice work.

I had been using VB.net 2003 to learn VB (I used to program C, C++), so I was able to pick it up pretty quickly.
I'm looking at getting the free VB.net Express Edition from Microsoft's Page.
Do you have any info or advice for me?

Jimbo have a look at SharpDevelop its a free (open source) equivalent to Visual Studio. I found that the express edition is a bit restrictive.
http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/