SLC 5/05 Ethernet Configuring

chicane

hmm I don't know where to begin here. This is the first time I've ever really setup a PLC, and i'm having difficulty. The PLC has been setup and got communication with an rs232 through a serial port on the computer fine, but I have to get ethernet. I'm forcing network type to DF1. The computer is connected to a switch and the PLC is also connected to the switch with another cable. When i setup channel configuration in rslogix, is the ip under channel 1 - system supposed to be my computer or the PLC? If it's the PLC how do I find out or assign an IP address to it? Great site by the way, I'll likely be back :oops:

Your PC and your SLC-5/05 must have different IP addresses.

In my garage lab, for example:

192.168.1.1 my Internet router
192.168.1.100 My laptop
192.168.1.101 1788-ENBT ControlLogix
192.168.1.102 SLC-5/05

In my RSLinx AB_ETH driver configuration, there is a "node/IP" equivalence table. Node 1 is entered as the ControlLogix IP address, Node 2 is the SLC-5/05.

This "node/IP" thing is required to help integrate TCP/IP into the sort of software interfaces A-B traditionally used, which had "node numbers" usually between 0-64 or 0-255.

A-B has a new "ip-browse" feature in their "EtherNet/IP" driver but it doesn't work with very many of their Ethernet interfaces yet, especially the SLC-5/05.

Damn! I've lost communication with my rs232 cable?! When you plug the cable into the CPU does the RS232 LED turn on right away? My ethernet cable does, but the rs232 doesn't and now i can't seem to get communication anymore.

EDIT: Must be bad configuration for my COM ports, it worked in a matter of seconds on another computer, and ethernet was setup 30 seconds later. lol thanks a lot everyone I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Check in the RSLogix 500 software (offline) to see if the Ethernet or the DF1 driver is being used. If you need to change it, go to Tools>Options>System Communication>Current Settings>Down Arrow, then select DF1 for the RS232 port. Current Project Settings Does Not Match pops up, Click Yes, New Settings. Repeat the process to go back to the ETH settings, Selecting ETH instead of DF1.
I hope this helps.
Other things in the RSLinx setup can cause problems too, post back if you need more help.
Sid

RSLinx Lite supports all the communications protocols, from DF1 serial to Ethernet and DH+ and ControlNet.

It's the advanced software features it doesn't support; DDE, OPC, etc.