System Integrator

The best thing would have been to find customers before you started the business... you're starting to get hungry because you don't have any customers now.... But that opportunity is gone, so now the best thing to do is NETWORK!

The best way is to just get out the knocking on doors. Talk to maintenance or automation managers in plants. When you're making "cold calls" like this, realize that most of these contacts will lead to nothing (nothing right now, we do it ourselves in-house, etc.) But occasionally you'll hit a jackpot. Face-to-face contacts will be better than phone calls. Have a business card/brochure available to leave in case they're not available to meet with you.

Talk to various distributors/reps (AB, Siemens, Tele/SqD/Modicon, etc.) around your area -- they know who's ordering plcs, they know who's capable of doing their own work, they know who needs outside help to get a project done.

Go to any lunch-n-learn or mini-tradeshows that distributors/reps have in your area. That's a great opportunity to introduce yourself.

Mail your target customers a brochure with your capabilities, experience, etc.

Use your imagination -- you have to get your name into their heads so you're the one they call. Anything you can do to make that happen is what you need to do.

SNK said:
You should have had customers before you started.

I was thinking the same thing. I know it sounds harsh but how do you start a business (services in this case) without customers?

Is this a case where you just completed school or something so decided OK I am qualified so am now in business.

What qualifications do you have? Are you business license(s), permits, insurance(s), bonding requirements etc. been met? Have you networked? Advertised? Developed a business plan? Created a website? Talked to all or any of the local manufacturers, suppliers, etc.?

I can tell you from experience, being qualified to do the work does not always qualify you as a businessman or salesman; which is necessary to get work and all the other aspects of a business.

VRBASGRAD said:
I started System Integration Business 3 weeks ago so I am wondering what is the best way to find costumers.Any idea will help.
VRBASGRAD said:
I am in business for 1 year now and I do have some costumers and I do have work lined up. I am just exploring different views and ideas.
With all due respect, somehow the math here is faulty...

I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but you're doing it backwards. You should have already lined up some clients before investing the time and money in setting up the business.

The best source of new business is referrals from current or former clients. What did you do before you set up your business? Are you intending to do something similar? If so, the people you dealt with while you worked for your former employer would be a good place to start. They already know your capabilities. Even if they don't have any work to steer your way, ask them if you can use them as a reference.

Over a hundred years ago a young English doctor took the same route as you have. He opened a medical practice near Portsmouth. While waiting for clients, he wrote a novel. His name was Arthur Conan Doyle and his novel was "A Study in Scarlet" in which the world was introduced to Sherlock Holmes.

VRBASGRAD said:
I started System Integration Business 3 weeks ago so I am wondering what is the best way to find costumers.Any idea will help.

I will sell you some customers here in the UK that i have been trying to get rid of for years :D

VRBASGRAD said:

What type of business are you doing? PLCs, and or panel/bashing ?

Best to set your self up with some of the big-boys in the target industries you are going after.

Our company has two internal sales guys, but the majority of our work come from the big players in the food industry. These big boys will use subs quite often.

But this kind of relationship can take years to establish.

Ian

What all the guys posted is true. I have been an EC for 28 years now and in the trade for 43. It usually takes more than a year to get a reputation and word of mouth to others. I have never had to market or advertise yet. I am trying to better myself with PLCs to market more of that to my existing customers, but to green to venture out, as I have seen what the big boys can do.

I disagree with the need for having customers before you start. I think that just gives you some cushion so that you don't get out of your comfort zone. In fact I MIGHT argue that it is better not to have an existing customers before you get started. But that would require charts, graphs, and disclosing my business plan including my top secret marketing weapon:rolleyes:

What you need is a good business plan first. And I don't mean that worthless stack of paper you take to the bank. A real business plan. Then don't throw it in the corner, operate out of it and stick to it. It is too easy for small businesses to get away from their focus. As small businesses, we can't do it all.

What is more important than already having customers is having model for your target customer. Hard to market yourself to potential customers when you don't even know what type of business your looking for. Nothing to hid here. 4.76% of my customers were customers of mine before I started my business. Not that I didn't want them, but they didn't fit my customer model.

geniusintraining said:
Boy!!! I'm sure glad I'm not as sarcastic as some of you guys...:eek:

Have a look at this thread...there is a ton of information in it, I'm still reading it

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=29767

Why was it sarcastic? As has been noted:
Originally Posted by VRBASGRAD

Originally Posted by VRBASGRAD
I am in business for 1 year now and I do have some costumers and I do have work lined up. I am just exploring different views and ideas.

Remember the thread about properly asking questions?

rsdoran said:
Why was it sarcastic? As has been noted:
[/i]
[/i]

Remember the thread about properly asking questions?

It was a joke Ron…. nothing more

On the subject of customers with or without, I think its ok to start without IF

You have a good cash pile that can back you up
or
You plan on starting part time (have another full time job)
or
You are looking for that extra 'drive' not have another income would be a big incentive

On another note, I will be starting up my own company...I have customer base of (big, fat) zero :D