System Integrator

Good Luck to you Genius in Training.
If I had to do it over I wouldnt touch autmation with a 10 foot pole.

I worked in automation while I earned my MBA.
Im still working with automation trying to figure out my next move. It will probably be law school.

The best way to make a living in automation is to work for a company as their in-house person. The best way to make a million in automation is to start with 2 million.

One of the bright spots in this market is building automation. There will be a lot more buildings than factories in the future.

Good Luck to You

Gerry said:
You guys are all talking about customers.
What he asked for (twice) is costumers.

Maybe he's organising a party.
You guys from Ozz always pick up on the little things.

Good find Gerry:beerchug:

Good Luck

Make a search to the internet for industries or whatever you think is going to use automartion. make one advertising paper with extra beautiful view and send it to all of these industries.
if you are lucky you gonna catch something.
Play good game in this advertisement with everything about cost.
Money is the biggest factor.

And something else propose one very well solution for one process on their sector.
Impress them with your solution and cost!
goodluck!

Tackdriver said:
Good Luck to you Genius in Training.
The best way to make a living in automation is to work for a company as their in-house person. The best way to make a million in automation is to start with 2 million.

Too funny, and sadly sometimes, too true.

A rough business when business is good, and an impossible business when things get tight (as they are in the US now)

jdbrandt said:
Too funny, and sadly sometimes, too true.

A rough business when business is good, and an impossible business when things get tight (as they are in the US now)

I second that. The description about the best way to make $1mil is to start with 2 - especially true of farming, except that you may need to start with 5 or 6.

I think it's important to have customer leads, but not necessarily customers before you go out on your own.

It's hard to generate a clientel while you are working for someone else, unless you either just steal a bunch of the customers from your current employer, or do some serious moonlighting. I've kept a running list of people I have worked for, people I have done work for, acquaintances, fellow contractors, integrators, salespeople etc... You just need to be careful not to burn bridges. Remember, the work you get is likely to be the work someone on that list will not get.

Having said that, perhaps the quickest way is to get out and beat the street, you may be surprised at the opportunities that are out there.

I was B.S.ing with a friend of mine who told me his company had to fly someone in from Washington state every time they had a problem with their 'automatic controls' to the tune of a minimum of $5000. He had no idea I did that kind of work, so I told him I would look at it for free the first time, but would need to charge after that. Turns out it was just a little Automation Direct PLC with something like 16in/16outs and a handheld programmer. Took me a couple hours to document everything with the stupid little handheld, and about 10 minutes to fix it. They thought I was a God. Said usually it takes them 2-3 days to get somebody to look at it.