Fanuc Vision

TheBigHarv

Had a bit of a mishap the other nite and damaged vision camera on a fanuc robot. I am looking to replace the CCD (Sony XC-ES30) instead of entire Fanuc module ($$$$) being as the only damage done was to the CCD when the cable was ripped out of the connector. Lens and casing are fine.

QUESTION:
Just recieved a quote from a Canadian company that can source us a Sony XC-ES50 CCD asap the camera's are identical in all specifications except the ES50 has a 1/2" sensing chip compared to the ES30 which has a 1/3" sensing chip. I don't have a lot of experience with these units and was wondering if there is a vision expert out there that that has worked with the fanuc vision systems and can tell me if having the bigger sensing chip will affect anything? My assumption is that we should stick with the original ES30. My boss wants to order a couple of the 50's right away but I told him I would like to run it by a few of the experts on here before he puts out the PO.

SPECS:
ES30 - http://www.aegis-elec.com/products/sonyxce-s30.html

ES50 - http://www.aegis-elec.com/products/sonyxce-s50.html

If you use the same lens you will barely notice the difference. Just don't try to go the other way.
Actually with the ES50 and a lens to go with it you could end up with a better resolution for future use.

I had the unfortunate opportunity to have to work on a Fanuc Vision System connected to a RJ controller a long time ago. At the time I thought I was the only poor sap that had to suffer with that headache. The system that I inherited was extremely unstable.

Giz.