UPS power supply w/plc?

Those Sola UPS Units are forbidden on our site, though in the past year Sola has told us they've changed the design. Still, 10 out of 16 dead on arrival, 3 out of 16 that would turn themselves off due to 'Low Demand', and 3 out of 16 that just switched off when the incoming power failed = Never again.

For where we must have 120VAC on a UPS, we are using Eaton's PowerWare series (www.powerware.com), but are trying to eliminate as many 120VAC UPS systems as possible, and switch to pure 24VDC backup systems using modules like these from AD: http://web6.automationdirect.com/ad.../DC_Power_Supplies/RHINO_Metal_Slim-Line_Case

Tom,

Could you qualify that for me? Have you used these for 110vac inputs? In particular Im concerned about firing the inputs on a F0-08-NA1 module.

Norm,
I cant use a DC version because the panel supply will be 110vac, and the PLC has 8 - 110vac input points that must be read properly during the outage.

Thanks for the replies...

I just go 2 of them in but I have only bench tested one. I wont have it on a machine for a few weeks.

APC makes one that is sold by AB. I don't know the price but I had good luck with them when they were still APC.

elevmike said:
Tom,

Could you qualify that for me? Have you used these for 110vac inputs? In particular Im concerned about firing the inputs on a F0-08-NA1 module.

I can't speak to that issue, as we use 24 VDC for discrete I/O almost exclusively.

The key is that this is an "offline" UPS, meaning that during normal operation it just passes the input power to the output with probably a little bit of filtering and surge supression.

If you are really worried about the quality of the sine wave you wan't an online or double conversion UPS. These type rectify the incoming power and then invert the DC signal for a nice pretty sine wave.

Casey, That's correct. On that job we installed a true sine wave inverter AFTER we discoverd the problem. We could do the same here but would like to kill two birds with one stone...

I've had a couple of those Sola SDU's in service for about a year and a half and have had no problems with them at all. They are actually backing up a couple of ethernet switch cabinets and a DH+ to Enet bridge so they are lightly loaded.