PLC UPS for power outage

you have a lot of good ideas here, but in my opinion, you need a copy of the existing program stored on your pc and on the network. any thing can happen.
james

My need for a UPS want not for the program... I needed the PLC to maintain that 'state' in the program, everything was fine for us until the power came back on and the hydraulics would release pressure on the load and that cost about 150k per load, so if we could keep the PLC powered up the timers would keep running until and not release until the end of the cycle and save the load

It would really suck before the UPS's if we had a glitch for about 2 sec, because that was enough time for the damage to be done

My need for a UPS want not for the program... I needed the PLC to maintain that 'state' in the program, everything was fine for us until the power came back on and the hydraulics would release pressure on the load and that cost about 150k per load, so if we could keep the PLC powered up the timers would keep running until and not release until the end of the cycle and save the load

It would really suck before the UPS's if we had a glitch for about 2 sec, because that was enough time for the damage to be done

I did something very similar for a hot platen press for laminating panels.

If the power went off and came back on before the hydraulic pressure or the temperature dropped too much it could continue the cycle. Before it was abort and scrap out what was in the press at any power glitch.

EDIT: But contrary to the earlier suggestion I simply used a desktop UPS sitting in the bottom of the enclosure, sorry. BTW - been in service about 5 years without any UPS problem. Go CyberPower!

Last edited:
If you choose a desktop style option, look for one with a Sine-wave output.

ONEAC makes some really nice units, in a previous life I was a Verifone Register/Network tech and they required that brand specifically.

I did something very similar for a hot platen press for laminating panels.

Funny so was mine, we were pressing copper clad laminates the base for printed circuit boards, the cycle would start with heat, vacuum and pressure... if we lost power but maintained pressure the load maybe ok, most of the time there was enough heat in the platens to maintain for the rest of the load, the vacuum was only the first 21 min

No Siempelkamp was one of the manufactures, they had a 90" platen and there were 20 openings, the presses were about 2 stories tall, total cycle time was about 2 hours, we had some special recipes that were 5 hours

Normal cycle time on this is 3-1/2 hours. Max 5-1/2.

Got to build this when the riggers moving the press in Georgia dropped the panel off the truck onto the street. Ended up in Detroit as a kit. Totaled everything inside, couldn't get the program out of the TI505 so I had to figure out the cycle myself. Plus it was all manual temperature (8 zones & 2 cooling) and pressure control with a bank of timers - now fully automatic running recipes.

The only thing here is the vacuum pump runs the full cycle.

P.S. - SLC5/05 with AdvancedHMI

Got to build this when the riggers moving the press in Georgia dropped the panel off the truck onto the street. Ended up in Detroit as a kit. Totaled everything inside, couldn't get the program out of the TI505 so I had to figure out the cycle myself. Plus it was all manual temperature (8 zones & 2 cooling) and pressure control with a bank of timers - now fully automatic running recipes.

Looks like a fun project, we had a bunch of smaller ones also for QC and engineering

The big ones had SLC's running them also with WW as the HMI then converted them over to RSView

You might want to read this to make sure you are not causing any hazards by putting the SLA in an enclosure.
https://www.power-sonic.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Technical-Manual.pdf

I appreciate that. I probably need to add a screened vent to these plastic panels. When we did a bunch of solar applications we bought aluminum panels with screened vents designed for the task.

I tried Rhino power supplies like Okie shows when I started my home solar power bank - before I had solar cells.

A 20 amp Rhino put out a consistent 45 amps and burned up the unit, a 10 amp unit put out 25 amps and I pulled it before it burnt up. Somehow they put out over double the rated current when charging a battery bank. Polarities were correct and the battery voltage was not too low. In my mind they should have shut down on short circuit protection before they put out that high of a current.

I ended up getting a 50 amp manual truck charger at considerably more cost.

FYI: The RHINO in my photos is a battery charge controller, not a normal power supply. It accepts a 24vdc power supply as input, puts out 24vdc to the load, and uses a 12vdc battery for backup. There's no droop in output voltage when AC power drops ... at least my Fluke set on Peak Hold didn't detect one...

https://www.automationdirect.com/ad...wer_supplies/dc_specialty_modules/psh-bcm360s

UPS battery power consumption

Based on the "Electrical" spec of 96% efficiency, the SUA5000 @ 4000 Watts/5000VA would consume about 150 to 160 watts by itself at full load. I believe the difference (about 20 - 25 watts) is made up by electrical energy converted to mechanical to spin the fans.