Slc05/04

I'de use a 1747-CP3 lead to the RS232 port on the 5/04 and com 1 on laptop save's you buying a DH+ card for your laptop.

But then again if you have a DH+ network time to spend the money and get a DH+ card..

Jezz
:D

1770-KF2

You don't say if you're in the field or in a shop environment, but
in a shop environment, I always use a 1770-KF2, serial to DH
box. Yes, they are big and clunky, but, I don't have all the
software and compatibility issues that the -PCMK guys have.

What issues do PCMK guys have?

To my knowledge the PCMK will work with any AB processor (using the appropriate cable) that is available on the market now. Until later versions of RSLogix were available WinXP would not in many cases work or allow RSLogix to install.

Jezz offered the simplest solution because you dont have to purchase a CP3 cable, you can build one. The pinout will be shown at the end of this thread.

NOTE: this applies to the 5/04 and any unit that has RS232 with a 9 pin connector.

abrs232.jpg

A CP3 cable is AB way to get you to buy another cord. Go to any elctronics store and buy a serial cord and a null modem. But if you looking for a fast connection get a pcmk card. They are available on ebay all the time. I would also suggest making sure its series B.

Also, regarding the PCMK card, get and install the latest drivers for the card! I was using old drivers and was having all sorts of problems. Installing new one's off my latest RSLinx Lite disk did me a world of difference :)

If you have a ControlLogix 5000 on the DH+ network and it has an Ethernet card you can connect via ethernet right from your desk to all PLCs using the ControlLogix 5000 as a gateway.