PDA

View Full Version : Contollogix Remote Rack Status

mcalidl
May 11th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I know there is a way to check the status of a remote i/o rack over ethernet in the controllogix, I'm just not sure how yet. Here is what we have: Rack with Processor and 1756 ENBT card and then a remote rack with an ENBT card. I am looking for a way to alarm if the remote rack drops of the network.

CroCop
May 11th, 2007, 03:04 PM
GSV the module.
The help files will show the way.

mcalidl
May 11th, 2007, 03:07 PM
The ethernet module?

CroCop
May 11th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Yes, GSV the ethernet module.

abwiz
May 11th, 2007, 03:25 PM
If you are using Rack Optimization for the modules on the remote rack, you can use the SlotStatusBits DINT to get information about the modules.

1=connection lost, 0=connectiion established

This DINT is available at the top level of the ENBT in the remote rack. For example, if the ENBT has the name "RACK01", it would look like this.

Rack01:I.SlotStatusBits when viewing in Controller Tags.

mcalidl
May 11th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Would Attribute Entrystatus not equal to 16#4000 be sufficient?

mcalidl
May 11th, 2007, 03:28 PM
If you used the slotstatusbits and the whole rack dropped off the network, will those bits update?

abwiz
May 11th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Yes...The CIP connection (which is how the I/O is communicated between the racks) between the local rack and the remote rack would be lost and the values in this DINT would be updated to reflect this.

abwiz
May 11th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Please note that this will only work if the module is set for RackOptimization. The value will be bogus if it is anything else. Also, it is only an indication of the connection to the module and tells you nothing about any faults or misconfiguration on the module. If you need additional information, you will need to use the GSV method already mentioned.

mcalidl
May 11th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Ok. Right now the SlotStatusBits DINT has hex value FFFF_FF0F while everything is OK. What value should I look for? There is nothing in Slot 0, ENBT in Slot 1, and I/O cards in Slots 2-7, and Slots 8 and 9 are empty in a 10 Card Rack.

mcalidl
May 11th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Would Attribute Entrystatus not equal to 16#4000 be sufficient?

abwiz
May 11th, 2007, 03:57 PM
I can't tell you what the number should be until you give me more details on how the remote IO is configured in RS5000.

Mark Buskell
May 11th, 2007, 04:35 PM
This may be of help, I got this from talking to AB about detecting module faults.

Using GSV instructions to monitor the status of anything in the I/O tree..
You can view this answer here. (http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/rockwellautomation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=24162)

rajy2r
May 11th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Create a message instruction and in the configuration use the following:

Message type = CIP Generic
Service Type = Get Attribute Single
Service Code = e
Instance = 1
Class = f6
Attribute = 2

In the destination, create a DINT tag call it say LinkStatusWord

In the communication type the name of the ethernet card in the remote rack (e.g - EB_01)

Bit 0 is the link status in the LinkStatusWord ( 1 = Active ; 0 = Inactive)
Bit 1 is module duplex mode ( 1 = full duplex ; 0 = Half Duplex)
Bit 2 to 31 are reserved.

Use Bit 0 as you indicated for the connection.

Oakley
May 14th, 2007, 06:32 AM
I use the CIP MSG for communications modules, and GSV for IO modules that are in the IO tree.

Then I can use this information to determine a "rack fault" alarm, and/or loss of comms alarm.

mcalidl
May 18th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I've been testing the rack link status using the MSG instuction. When the link is OK. StatusLinkWord.0 is set. But when the network cable is unplugged this bit stays high. Any suggestions. I do not understand how this MSG instruction can be updated if a comm loss does occur. Can someone please explain this.