S7-200 Printing

Gazzr

I would like to try and set up a S7-200 to print some text directly to a parallel printer. I have found some tips from Siemens website and a sample program to acheive this.
Only problem is I don't have a PPI cable ( I do but it is USB version). Can MPI cable be configured via adaptors? Or am I asking a really stupid question?
Also, the only tips I can find are regarding Parallel printers. Can the units be set up to communicate with serial and/or USB printers?
Can't really justify purchasing the cable for this trial, but if I can get the system working and prove the idea, it may then warrant it.

Many thanks.

Hello Gazzr;

Tip 19 (for parallel port printing) is for a "deviant" case; normal printing procedures are for communicating with serial printers in freport mode; the XMT techniques are covered in the S7-200_e.pdf manual.
You can use the USB version of the PPI cable without a problem (just assign the correct COM port).
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Thanks for the info. Presumably I need an adaptor to go from USB "Plug A" to "Receptacle A" or to "Plug B" to go straight into a USB printer?

Sorry, just re read my post and it sounds a little "odd". What I mean is my PPI cable is RS485 at the PLC side (Obviously) and the USB side is USB type "A" plug. But USB printers usually have a USB "B" style receptacle on the unit. Can an adaptor be obtained to get these two together?