RsView32 and Excel

bulletin blues

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am trying to get an excel spreadsheet to reflect a value that is input into rsview32. I have set up a DDE Topic. My problem is when I type RSLINX|RSDDETOPIC!ddeAnalog1 into the cell and hit enter, I get an error stating "cannot start rslinx.exe" It then states rslinx is either missing or damaged.
I reinstalled rslinx. I then installed another version, they are both pre-linx 5.0.
Excel is 2000.
I still get this error. They are not lite versions.

I am not connected to a PLC. I just want to have the Rsview numeric input value reflected on the spreadsheet, which leads me to another question... When I set up the tag ddeAnalog1, I set it as a Device and choose the node, but for address, well... I want ddeAnalog1 to be the address going to the spreadsheet. Can I do this? Am I missing the whole point of DDE (you gotta hook it up to a PLC you dumbee) or is this something that is do-able, although maybe taking a different approach.

Oops, I just finished beer number 2, I better stop here. Not much to go on, but maybe someone can help.

Thanks

I think DDE is the wrong approach. The device option is definitley looking to connect to a device through RSLinx, which you should not have to involve at all to get a number from RSView to Excel. I wish I could help you further, and I am sure someone here can, but I would venture to guess that you will be requiring some VBA code to do what you want...

You do not need to use Linx at all for this. The RSView DDE server is RTData, the topic is your project name and the value is the RSView tag name. You must, however, enable the DDE server in the RSView startup dialog.

Andybr

RSView / Excel

I've only been able to get the DDE working for an excel
exchange when the RSView project is running on the same
computer that I am running the excel spreadsheet. I've
not been able to access DDE info from a RSView project
on another computer yet. I'm sure there is a way to
share DDE info on a network but I haven't really tried
to figure it out yet. SO, my RSView project is called
CWTP and it is running on my computer. The RSView tag
that I want to display in excel is lime\RW01level.

Here is an example:

Make sure that DDE is checked on the project 'Start-up'
page and restart the project.
start_up.jpg

Make sure you have the exact tagname in the RSView database:
database.jpg

I've included a copy of what the data looks like
in Rsview:
RSVIEW.jpg

Then create the spreadsheet and add the poop shown
up top here:
excel.jpg

So: ='topic'(pipe)'project name'!'tagname'
=RTData|CWTP!lime\rw01level

Hope it works.
Greg

Datalogging may be another approach. You can log to the same file or create a new file. Only catch is it is not saved in excel, but .dbf file. But can be opened by excel.

_________

Aha!
I finally noticed the example link on the help file. :whistle:
This is all I was trying to do. Thanks for the replies.

This example reads a value from cell r3c2 (row 3, column 2) in the second sheet of an Excel spreadsheet called SCHEDULE.XLS into RSView32.
To set up the example
1 In the Node editor create a DDE node with the following
Application: Excel
Topic: [SCHEDULE.XLS]sheet2
2 In the Tag Database editor create a tag with Device as the data source and an address of r3c2. The address is a particular cell in the Excel spreadsheet. This is also known as a DDE item.
To change the value in the cell in the spreadsheet from RSView32
Use the Set command to change the value of the RSView32 tag. This automatically updates the item the tag is pointing to, in this case the r3c2 cell in Excel.
Tip
· If a string value is being set, you can use blanks or commas within the string as long as the string is enclosed with either single or double quotes.