simatic know_how_protect

S7 Know How Protection

It is possible to remove the Know How Protection from Siemens S7 Blocks.

Send me the project and details and I will remove the protection for you.

Regards,

Steve

khalil,

if you don't know what the term know_how_protect is, you don't know about S7. If you don't know about S7, there's no need for you to answer and certainly not in this way. I consider the tone of your reply (especially the sentence "i think you should give more details,!!! :( " ) as shouting at people.

Mclean had a legitime question and the people who can answer know what's it about so he deserves an honest answer, which was given by both moggie and rgua.

Please keep this excellent forum friendly and nice!

Kind regards,

Jean Pierre Vandecandelaere

if you don't know what the term know_how_protect is, you don't know about S7. If you don't know about S7,

jvdcande,

first of all , im not shoutting any one in here ,
secondly , im familiar with S7 programing but i didnt hear
any thing about know_how_protect , any way i will cosider this
an advice thank you , and if you can explaine what is the
know_how_protect , that would be great .

best regards .....

thank you,moggie & rgua.but what i want is to know is how to unprotect by editing the files,not using a software.
khalil,just like jvdcande saids,i think the "know_how_protect" have given you enough details.

Khalil,

it's possible you're familiar with S7-200 programming and in that case you wouldn't be familiar with the term know_how_protect. But that's because S7-200 is not a real S7, it's a descendant from the Texas-Instruments line bought by Siemens.

But everybody familiar with S7 (the real thing, meaning S7-300/400) must know about know_how_protection, because every single library block included in S7 is know_how_protected by Siemens. It means you can use the block, but you're not allowed to see or change the contents.

Know_how_protection is fairly easy to implement: you create a source file from the block(s) you want to protect and in the block header(s) (every single one of those you want to protect) you add the line KNOW_HOW_PROTECT. Subsequently you recompile the source and voila: the block(s) is (are) protected. Check this simple example:

FUNCTION "Start-Stop" : VOID
TITLE =
AUTHOR : jvdcande
FAMILY : Motor
NAME : StrtStop
VERSION : 0.1
KNOW_HOW_PROTECT

VAR_INPUT
Start : BOOL ;
Stop : BOOL ;
END_VAR
VAR_OUTPUT
Out : BOOL ;
END_VAR
BEGIN
NETWORK
TITLE =

A( ;
O #Start;
O #Out;
) ;
A #Stop;
= #Out;
END_FUNCTION

Removing the protection is as easy as implementing, provided you have the source file at hand: simply remove the line "KNOW_HOW_PROTECT" in the source file, recompile and it's done.

If, on the other hand, you don't have the source file (maybe you want to commit industrial espionage ;) or your software provider has gone bankrupt and left you with incomplete documentation) then it's not that easy. The only way I know of is indeed S7CanOpener to be found at Runmode in the Runmode Tools section, as already mentioned.

So, I hope this gives everybody enough info.

Kind regards,

Jean Pierre Vandecandelaere

hi,

jvdcande,
thank you for the given information , and yes you are right i am familiar
with s7 200 , but i have asked siemens rep in my area he told me that if you can program the 2xx you can also program the 300 ,400

but now i think i should get the s7 300 software,so i can be familiar with that kind of programing ,

thanks alot jean for the great info , :D

best regards .........

Last edited:
khalil, tell your distibutor he lied to you! The programming of a 300 or 400 is quite different and can get quite complicated and have an entirely different software and command set. Do yourself a favor, find a better distributor, he obviously, don't know what he is talking about.

rrobbins ,

thanks for the advice ,

well, i did and he said that its not the same but if you got the theory then you are able to program any plc in the world ,
plc is a plc , but im just fine with the s7 2xx its user friendly and
its just enough for all my aplications , but i will learn s7 300
as soon as possible , only because i might need s7 300 in my work
later , the quastion is : do u think i can learn fast if i have expiriance based on s7 200 programing ,

best regards ,

khalil .

Email me with your address and I will send you a copy of S7 Step X Step. It will get you going. I would suggest a Siemens training class and use the Step X Step as a refresher when you get you first project. I think if you have the basic concept of how a PLC works, and willing to learn something new, then yes you will do it. But to say they are all the same, I don't agree. IEEE 1131-3 was designed to make the progamming language similar, but each PLC mfg has the ability to modify software to what fits them. It also allows for multiple progamming types ei: ladder, scl cfc, stl, charts, etc. They are different, even among vendors. It has caused some problems for some companies. The character O for output has to be Q, memmory locations are M's, etc.