RJLnxx Ethernet I/O

RDP

We have a Woodhead ethernet I/O block that when the e-stop feature is enabled, and the 24VDC power to the outputs is removed, then restored, in order to get the outputs to activate again the processor must be switched to program mode, then back to run. If the e-stop feature is disabled thru the web configuration, then the outputs act as expected and do not respond to the loss of output power. I have tried tech support, but no luck with them, and am not sure if this is normal behaviour for these blocks?
I am using a CompactLogix L32E and a TEN-888-R18-05 I/O block
Thanks

I have not used those blocks, but I might suggest that you attempt to reset the blocks by inhibiting and uninhibiting the I/O connection in RSLogix 5000. If this has the same effect as cycling the controller from Run to Program, then you might be able to use programmatic Inhibit/Uninhibit to reset the E-Stop feature.

Can you post a link to the User Manual for those modules ?

[Edit] I didn't find any EtherNet/IP object definitions or other information regarding the e-stop function in the User Manual.

Last edited:
Thanks Ken. It works when the connection is inhibited and then re-established. Here is how I tried it.

estopfix.JPG

Is there a better way? I still think this is a band-aid fix, but will work. I may have to play with the timing of the inhibit/ establish to allow the i/o status to be viewed while in e-stop.
Why would the module be designed in this manner? I see this as a problem that should be addressed in firmware updates, but there doesnt seem to be any updates for these on the Woodhead site
Thanks again.

So I'm reading this as:

The IO module has an E-Stop function. When I activate the E-Stop function AND I remove 24VDC from the output +24VDC connection, the CompactLogix CPU must be stopped and restarted to get the outputs to activate again.

The IO module has an E-Stop function. If I don't activate the E-Stop function and I remove 24VDC from the output +24VDC connection, the outputs still switch internally but the actuators are all in their power-off states because nothing is on the line being switched.

Is this right? If it is:

- Don't use the IO module E-Stop function. Run it just like in the old days where your logic places the module outputs in the "E-Stop State" but your contactor has pulled power from the module to meet the hard-wire E-Stop requirement.

- Use the module E-Stop function and depend on it to force the module outputs to the desired "E-Stop State." Presumably the module can be configured to "do something" when the E-Stop function is activated, or if not then what does it do?

Have you used other ENet IO modules and how have they handled E-Stops? I'n actually just getting into this- I'm working on the conceptual design for a machine that'll use all ENet IO and I think a ControlLogix system. This is a first for me- stepping up from DeviceNet- so I'm really interested in how you make out with this issue. I now have another question on my "Vendor Questions List." Thanks!

Paul T said:
So I'm reading this as:

The IO module has an E-Stop function. When I activate the E-Stop function AND I remove 24VDC from the output +24VDC connection, the CompactLogix CPU must be stopped and restarted to get the outputs to activate again.

This is true!

Paul T said:
The IO module has an E-Stop function. If I don't activate the E-Stop function and I remove 24VDC from the output +24VDC connection, the outputs still switch internally but the actuators are all in their power-off states because nothing is on the line being switched.

This is not how it works. apparently selecting the estop function in the module setup just allows the outputs to draw from the "switched power". if estop is not selected, the outputs must draw from the unswitched power, as the output device remains energized.

Paul T said:
- Use the module E-Stop function and depend on it to force the module outputs to the desired "E-Stop State." Presumably the module can be configured to "do something" when the E-Stop function is activated, or if not then what does it do?

I have not been able to locate any other configuration parameters related to the estop, but somewhere in the manual it referred to hold last state or idle, but havent been able to change anything. The eds file is not what I was used to compared to the DeviceNet I/O I have used before.
modulesetup.JPG

Paul T said:
- Have you used other ENet IO modules and how have they handled E-Stops? I'n actually just getting into this- I'm working on the conceptual design for a machine that'll use all ENet IO and I think a ControlLogix system. This is a first for me- stepping up from DeviceNet- so I'm really interested in how you make out with this issue. I now have another question on my "Vendor Questions List." Thanks?

This is my first ethernet I/O, and have since used flex on ethernet, but have just removed the power to the source for the output cards (just driving solenoid valves) in the past. I have been waiting (since February) for the release of the 1732 ArmorBlock on ethernet. Are these available in the US yet??
Thanks

Oh... so this is a configuration setting not a run-time input. Huh. So you bring in your Ethernet line, and a pair of separate 24VDC power lines (switched and unswitched). Or is this one 24VDC with the switching handled internally?

If this is two lines, and you actually USE the switched line it crashes the module "backplane" comm and won't restart without cycling the processor? That would be.... bad. Really bad. If this is one line, then I guess they need to tell you how to configure the module to turn off the switched outputs on demand.

I had the local Turck rep in just this morning and asked this question... how do I handle E-Stops? He is going to get back to me... heh!

I don't know if the AB ArmorBlock is available yet. I'm an end user; I actually use AB as little as I can, these days. Pricing is usually terrible so for everything except the CPU and comm modules, I look elsewhere first. Turck has been good and I like IFM effector, but haven't had cause to use their AS-i stuff yet (I keep looking).

How are you making out with this?

Last edited:
Paul, when the switched 24V is open as in E-stop, the comms are still active, and you can monitor the status of the inputs. However, the outputs will not return to the ON state when the 24V is returned to the switched 24V. Run-Prog-Run fixes it, as well as disable /re-enable comms with the module.
It will get used with the program briefly disabling and then re-enabling comms after return from E-stop, unless someone (or woodhead) figures this out.