Ethernet Dongles for PC-to-PLC connection?

afm

Hi all,

My ethernet port on my laptop recently broke and I was hoping to just use a usb-c dongle in the mean time to go live on my PLC until I can fix it. My PLC (B&R X20CP0483) uses 10/100BASE-T, so I've tried a few dongles that are working for internet connections to my laptop and that seemed to be compatible to my PLC specs, but I have had no luck with connecting to my PLC. Does anyone have recommendations or advice on what specs to be looking for? I also ordered a usb-c to ethernet cable, but i'm not sure if it will be unresponsive like the dongles have been. Thanks!

Last edited:
I pay zero attention to specs of USB-Ethernet adapters that I've purchased, all of them work perfectly fine connecting to anything I have used them for. I'd bet a lot of money that the one you were successful at connecting to the internet with would work with your PLC, the issue is almost certainly related to network configuration, not the dongle itself.

I use one similar to this (I like the additional USB ports):

I agree that it is unlikely, but i'm working with an old program and my network settings are set to what I always use. I switched to using a different laptop with the same software with a working ethernet port. That connects to my PLC as expected. But if I connect the new PC to ethernet via those dongles, I cannot get online. I don't believe any of these dongles have drivers, especially if they work for internet, but I can check.. I also get connection lights on the dongle port when connected to my PLC, but no status change on my PLC like when the cable was directly in my computer.

Last edited:
The dongle definitely has a driver but there are only so many chipset makers out there, Windows likely already has a driver for it.

Not sure what PLC you are working with, but maybe the communication driver is still trying to use your built in Ethernet port instead of your new dongle. RSLinx Ethernet I/P driver, for example, has configuration for which adapter to browse. Configuring a new network adapter doesn't change RSLinx configuration to use it.

Maybe there is something to your old hardware vs new adapter. I haven't had to think about polarity and cross-over cables in a long time. Maybe some devices don't support Auto MDI-X? Would seem crazy today.

Attachments

• capture-20240409-111044.png
    capture-20240409-111044.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 5
In Siemensland, I've never had or heard of any issues with Dongle A vs Dongle B vs Dongle C. I don't have much experience with B&R, but I don't know why theirs would be any different.

What doesn't work with the dongles, the PLC programming SW? Can you PING the PLC? Can you do something like access a PLC webpage, or any other devices on the network?

Is it possible there's some hidden setting you need to use to change the default download settings to select the new adapter? I know in Siemens we have Download, but also sometimes you need Extended Download when you need to re-select the PLC download config. It automatically does Extended Download the first time you do a regular download to select the comm settings, but then just remembers after that. Could be something similar happening?

Do you see the USB dongle in Network settings?
Did you disable the Ethernet adapter on you pc that is broken and use those IP settings for the dongle?

the issue is almost certainly related to network configuration, not the dongle itself.
Y'all called it, enabling the IP setting for the new one did the trick.

Both ethernets were set to Automatic for the PC's IP settings, which worked fine for my PC's ethernet port, but I had to manually set it for new usb-c cable and dongles. I figured it was fine since the internet connection was good, but now I know! Thanks all!

Most of dongles that I used are working will all PLCs. USB2, USB3 (A type), USB 3.1, USB-C - all Ok, except one Tripp-Lite USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 dongle, that is unstable and I think may be this specific dongle hardware issue.

I've used several USB Ethernet dongles over the years and never had any issue with any of them except one that was USB 3.0. The version of VMWare Workstation Player I used to create my VMs didn't support USB3, but I found a workaround where I made a change to the vmx file and was able to get it to work there too. For the most part, they've all been plug-and-play.

I have had problems with bridging VMware to the integrated Ethernet port in the laptop, whereas assigning the USB-Ethernet to the VM always work.
Also, your IT admin may block you from changing the Ethernet settings in the VM host (i.e. the integrated port), but may allow you to fully control the VM guest, so you can do anything you want with the USB-Ethernet adapter.

I used to hate dongles, now I love them. Windows will remember the settings for each dongle you have. So if you're constantly doing various static IPs, buy more dongles, label them and just swap. Also, set one up for Wireshark and disable all of the services for quiet snooping.

I've used several USB Ethernet dongles over the years and never had any issue with any of them except one that was USB 3.0. The version of VMWare Workstation Player I used to create my VMs didn't support USB3, but I found a workaround where I made a change to the vmx file and was able to get it to work there too. For the most part, they've all been plug-and-play.
You can connect usb hub for dowgrading USB3 to USB2 for vm, but hub needs to be only USB2 spec. Sometimes have used for USB3 flash driver to connect to vmware as vmware isn't regocnized usb flash at all.

I have had problems with bridging VMware to the integrated Ethernet port in the laptop, whereas assigning the USB-Ethernet to the VM always work.
Also, your IT admin may block you from changing the Ethernet settings in the VM host (i.e. the integrated port), but may allow you to fully control the VM guest, so you can do anything you want with the USB-Ethernet adapter.
Have you USB2 or USB3 adapter connected to vmware?
It starts to be difficult to find usb2 only ethernet adapters and my working ethernet adapter is over 10 years old. Tryed several different adapters couple years ago, but there was driver issues with win7 and win10 on vmware. Serial is also pain if not know working adapters beforehand.

You can connect usb hub for dowgrading USB3 to USB2 for vm, but hub needs to be only USB2 spec. Sometimes have used for USB3 flash driver to connect to vmware as vmware isn't regocnized usb flash at all.
Good to know, actually. The hub I use is USB 3, but I'll definitely file that tip away in case of future need.

Have you USB2 or USB3 adapter connected to vmware?
It was a USB2 adapter.
USB3 is better supported in VMware than it used to be. Cannot say if there are still issues when using USB3 Ethernet adapters in VMware.

You can connect usb hub for dowgrading USB3 to USB2 for vm, but hub needs to be only USB2 spec.
Some laptops have mixed USB2 and USB3 ports. I found that plugging a USB3 device into a USB2 port fixed issues with VMware.
Another possible solution (I have not tried myself) is to use a USB2 cable between the USB3 device and the USB3 port. That also forces USB2 mode.