505 PLC how to find the free I/O and internal memory points fast??

atifplus

Is there a way to find which points are free. Other than doing a global search on each ??
Coz some of the points has no description in the logic so i can't really tell if they are used.

Thanks

A070507.JPG

X indicates the address has been used.

Open the data file and click on usage. If there is an X, it is used. Also if there is an F or W beside it, it could be used as is written to from a word.

Alaric and brucechase,
How do you know its a AB SLC5/05 ? Maybe its a TI, [size=-1]SIMATIC 505
I know this doesn't help ansewer the question, I was just wandering.

[/size]

I just realized that when I responded to Atifplus's post in
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=31978

Because of that, my money is on Simatic or TI 505 and it looks like he is using Fastrak Softworks software.

I'm not at all familiar with Fastrak software for the 505, but I am familiar with it for Modicon. In the Modicon version of FasTrak software under the View menu there is an option to view "Addresses used" and "Coils Used" Look for something similar.

If you are using DOS Tisoft rel 6 or so, do a 'Ctrl u' and select the type of point needed. I just happen to be looking at a program in Tisoft at my desk when I read this.
Hmmm, back in to good(?) old days.......
John

oh if i click on the documentation window it shows me the points that been used already. Humm also i could open that window that Ken showed in the screenshot he posted above.

check2ml3.jpg

ok ... I know that the focus has shifted away from Allen-Bradley to TI ... I just wanted to warn anyone who might come upon this thread in the future about an often forgotten fact about the handy RSLogix "Usage" feature ... specifically, it will NOT inform you if an address is used in an "indirect addressing" scheme ...

so ... just because the usage window doesn't show you an "X" or a "W" or an "F" does NOT always absolutely positively insure that the address is unused ... someone who has been bitten by this particular dog before will usually search for ONE (and only one) of the "[]" square brackets characters and then carefully investigate any indirect addresses in the neighborhood of his intended data location ... or (if possible) just create a new data table ...

party on ...

That's a good point Ron, with the TI 505's I don't believe indirect addressing is supported in the Ladder Logic. But I know it is in the Special Functions (structured text). In the old Tisoft software, it wouldn't show a indirect used bit, I don't know if the windows software does or not, I would guess not. If I have time, I'll try an experiment sometime.

then i guess doing a global search is the only safe way to search for the unuse point :|
Global search also look for the points in Special Functions, PID, ladder and stuff..